• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Most distant vagrants (1 Viewer)

jurek

On the recent thread about European rarities, there was a discussion whether a vagrant Ashy Drongo could turn up in Norway. This made me interested.

How far away a sedentary species can move as a certain vagrant?

A short or a long distance migrant - how much further way it can go beyond, or to the opposite of its normal migration distance?

How do one actually measure a distance traveled by migratory birds other than ringing? In the case of the drongo, it was distance from the most extreme edge of the breeding range to the southern part of the wintering range. This may be sensible, because in migratory birds, often the populations from far north winter far south (probably because closer populations claim closer wintering areas).

I think that the number of unusual birds noticed in the Aleutians in the ABA area may be interesting - things like European Wood Warbler or Kentish Plover.

You may get more answers by posting it in the rarities forum (now that you can still change the location of this thread by yourself), though I may be wrong.

A short or a long distance migrant - how much further way it can go beyond, or to the opposite of its normal migration distance?
A couple of examples for starters: Pale-legged leaf-warbler - most western record within core range (but still a vagrant) is from Satchari NP in Bangladesh. One confirmed by DNA on St Agnes, UK. Distance between the two points: 8,506.53 km give or take a few km. I can't think of a larger spread off the top of my head (Chestnut-eared bunting occurs west along the Himalayas) for the UK.
More notable is Dark-sided flycatcher, with a record from Peshawar in the west of its core range, and a record from Bermuda - a staggering 11,329.04 km +/- if heading west in a straight line, though that is very unlikely to have been the route taken - more likely from Kamchatka and over the arctic circle, still no mean feat at 9,749.64 km...

I think that the number of unusual birds noticed in the Aleutians in the ABA area may be interesting - things like European Wood Warbler or Kentish Plover.
Indeed, using the same "over the top" theory going the other way e.g. Wood Warbler (eastern most in Yekaterinburg) occuring in LA at a distance of 9,938.36 km is pretty astonishing.

If you don't already own it, I cannot recommend the book that Alex and James recently published highly enough - thoroughly researched, and arguably the definitive book on vagrancy.

Humboldt Penguin has been recorded as a vagrant in Alaska. Alaska's Icterine Warbler also comes to mind.

Humboldt Penguin has been recorded as a vagrant in Alaska. Alaska's Icterine Warbler also comes to mind.
IIRC, wasn't this further south than AK. At any rate, people were concerned over providence on that record, and it was never added to any checklists.

How many of the vagrants in the Aleutians are sedentary? You mention Wood Warbler, a friend found one of these in South Africa presumably going in exactly the wrong direction but not a sedentary species.

On the recent thread about European rarities, there was a discussion whether a vagrant Ashy Drongo could turn up in Norway. This made me interested.

How far away a sedentary species can move as a certain vagrant?
A Crested Tit over 1 km from the nearest coniferous tree is a major event. Marsh Tit also does not really move at all.
I believe Magpie will lead to a twitch on some of the British offshore islands.

How about birds like Siberian Jay?

A Crested Tit over 1 km from the nearest coniferous tree is a major event. Marsh Tit also does not really move at all.

I confess: both on Scilly and Shetland. The Scilly one took two goes on boats to St Martin's, the first being a very very soggy dip.

John

IIRC, wasn't this further south than AK. At any rate, people were concerned over providence on that record, and it was never added to any checklists.
There are actually five records from the west coast of North America, the furthest northern one was in AK. Personally I think ignoring the clear pattern of these records and dismissing prevalence of a species not found in the private aviculture trade is ill-advised.

A very rare bird even in Leningrad Oblast, I certainly never saw one in the years I spent there.

eBird even has a record from Slovakia from 1990: Sign in, and a whole flock was seen in northwestern Ukraine in 1997 (Ільчук c, 2011.pdf in 🇺🇦: 'the birds were making Magpie-like sounds as loud as a flock of Starlings would').

EDIT: @opisska So, pace another recent thread, you can find mega rarities even in central Europe (Slovakia).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back