• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fish Eaters? (1 Viewer)

Talon 1

Why do they tend to be a black/white or browny colour?

Lovely looking birds but is there a purpose for the colour?

i think i recall someone saying that black,white colours help the bird go unseen above water by the fish.herons are well known to benefit from the stripes on there neck when stalking fish.i wonder if that includes the blackbird that regulary plucks sticklebacks from the ditch outside my front door,bashes them dead and eats them on the lawn? matt

Kingfishers mess the theory up a bit - a few are a variation on the black and white (Pied, Crested, etc), the rest sure aren't!

Jos Stratford said:
Kingfishers mess the theory up a bit - a few are a variation on the black and white (Pied, Crested, etc), the rest sure aren't!

Not really true birds of prey thou are they Jos ;) ;) ;)

DOH, I didn't notice which forum this post is in! :)

But then, if this is a raptor question, most birds of prey, fish eaters and otherwise, are more or less black/white or browny!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back