• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Key West, Dry Tortugas in Late September (1 Viewer)

Big Nate

I'm taking the family to Key West for a week in late September. My wife and I have been several times, but have not done any serious birding while there before. I have already booked a trip to Fort Jefferson, and wondered what to expect or be prepared for at this time of year. We've done this trip sans kids before, so we know what to expect on the boat.

I have a Rebel XT with a Canon 300mm f4 and a 1.4 TC I will be bringing a cheap tripod and a good monopod with me as well. What birds should we be looking for? Should I spend my time towards Bush island or in and around the Fort?

I would like some advice on locations in the lower Keys too. We will have a car, and probably access to a boat most of the week.

Hello Big Nate and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

I can't help you with your queries but you should be getting some feedback shortly. Enjoy your trip and keeping fingers crossed for you that there is no bad weather.

Big Nate said:
I'm taking the family to Key West for a week in late September. My wife and I have been several times, but have not done any serious birding while there before. I have already booked a trip to Fort Jefferson, and wondered what to expect or be prepared for at this time of year. We've done this trip sans kids before, so we know what to expect on the boat.

I have a Rebel XT with a Canon 300mm f4 and a 1.4 TC I will be bringing a cheap tripod and a good monopod with me as well. What birds should we be looking for? Should I spend my time towards Bush island or in and around the Fort?

I would like some advice on locations in the lower Keys too. We will have a car, and probably access to a boat most of the week.

Hi Nate

even though I live in Florida Im 12 hours drive from Key West! Thats without a break. Anyway here are a couple of links for sites and info. My trip report from a trip I took before I lived here is included which has site info but wont be much use as my trip was in January. There are a few good parks in the lower keys for migrants. If you get the chance go to Boot Key for the hawk watch, they have the largest Peregrine flight on the east coast and is manned throughout fall so a trip there should prove useful for info and birds.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=41553

the above is a link to a previous thread on Birdforum

http://www.floridabirdingtrail.com/

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back