• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Southern Poland in September (1 Viewer)

payaminotom

United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm off to Poland for a non-birding work trip in September. Obviously, I'm packing my bino's and hope to add a lifer or two to my list! I'll be restricted to the Southern Poland by the Czech border (flying in to Krakow but staying in the Dolnosalskie region near Klodzko), and i'll be there for the first two weeks of September.

I have no idea about wildlife in Poland, I've never been there before! These are some species that I've identified as potential to encounter in my area during September that would be lifers for me.

Black Stork
Icterine Warbler
Barred Warbler
White-tailed Eagle
Lesser Spotted Eagle
Imperial Eagle
Grey-headed Woodpecker
Three-toed Woodpecker
White-backed Woodpecker
Citrine Wagtail
Collared Flycatcher

If anyone here has any experience with the area, key 'must-visit' sites, info or advice regarding the best way to see interesting species, please let me know! Any info at all would be greatly appreciated. Some migratory species may be super unlikely in September, but its difficult to discern from online databases sometimes, and I strongly believe the best way to find out is by asking those with most experience! Also, advice on any non-bird wildlife or geographical wonders is hugely appreciated!

Huge thanks in advance!!!

Not terribly helpful I am afraid, but I have twice had time to do casual birding while on two Scouting visits in August; the only one of your targets I saw was LSE, on one occasion, low over a wooded river valley. On the other hand, White Storks and Fieldfares were unmissable, and Golden Orioles audible. Camberwell Beauty probably best of the rest.

Not terribly helpful I am afraid, but I have twice had time to do casual birding while on two Scouting visits in August; the only one of your targets I saw was LSE, on one occasion, low over a wooded river valley. On the other hand, White Storks and Fieldfares were unmissable, and Golden Orioles audible. Camberwell Beauty probably best of the rest.
Thankyou! I hope they'll still be around in September!

It looks like there's a good site for WTE to the northeast: Sign in, at which the bird has been regularly recorded since June last year. I don't know the area, but I wouldn't expect much of anything else, although Grey-headed Woodpeckers and Black Storks do seem to be spread out across the area a bit higher up in the mountains? Maybe adding 'close to the Czech Republic' (or something similar) to the title could help attract more answers.

EDIT: From my very limited experience, at least in agricultural areas you could hope for Serin, White Stork and, maybe, Quail. White Storks have nest platforms mostly in rural areas, Quail can be found in fields, while Serins mostly occupy patches of spruce (?) planted by humans in gardens, etc. (even very small ones).

Last edited:
(I can also give you some food recommendations if you want.)
For Polish food, yuuuuk 🙂

The key to some good birding anywhere in Poland in September will be visit fish pind systems - as peak migration, Black Stork is likely, along with a multitude of other birds. Woodpeckers can be harder in September, but I know insufficiently the south of Poland to go beyond that (but the species you desire are present).

If sunny, still can be good for butterflies, the foothills of the Tatra can produce many excellent species. Mammals harder, but a standard mix of commoner species and extremely slim possibility (like near zero) of things like Brown Bear, Lynx etc in the Tatra. Tracks more possible in the correct areas.

Not been to Poland however (not too far away) in Budapest late August last year, I had Barred Warbler, Red-backed Shrike, Collared Flycatcher, Wood and Icterine Warblers in a downtown park!…they can “concentrate” in a sea of concrete.👍

For Polish food, yuuuuk 🙂
I was going to include Lithuanian imports--Džiugas (I almost displaced the tittle in this one) and sūrelis (mostly Magija here). Mostly for my own amusement, I've tried to keep a mental note of the best food items in their category, but I don't think all of it would be of use for a work trip.

In my opinion, pierogi may be a bit over oversold as a product, but they still come with a variety of fillings. Another thing worth trying (if you haven't before) are pickled vegetables common around Central Europe: brined pickles and sauerkraut. Bigos, mostly made from fresh cabbage and sauerkraut, should be a safe choice regardless of restaurant because it's rather foolproof in preparation. Sour milk might also interest you.

The concept of a fruit puree as a snack is nothing new, but these are, as far as I understand, not from concentrate and really cheap for a relatively big portion (beware of knockoffs, which are worse value for money). Another good idea is the so-called juice of the day, which is pressed but not pasteurised, so it's kept fresh in a fridge and only lasts a few days. Unfortunately, these juices and Lithuanian Džiugas cheese are items that tend to be overpriced at certain shops, although--at least--all of the items mentioned above shouldn't be too difficult to find.

EDIT: Don't forget to visit a Czech shop (they should be in Poland as well) and have a look at Czech and Slovak confectionery. Apart from that, one thing the name of which I can't find in the internet now is a sort of sweet, fat milk sold in very small glass bottles?

Last edited:
I was going to include Lithuanian imports--Džiugas (I almost displaced the tittle in this one) and sūrelis (mostly Magija here).

Lithuanian food imports would definitely not entice me to Poland, though the two you mention here are not too bad 😅

Another thing worth trying ...brined pickles ....mostly made from fresh cabbage ... Sour milk might also interest you.
Yuuuuuk ... enough to put a birder off birding. Lithuania and Eastern Europe have many things that are great, not least the birding, but food in my humble opinion is not one of them :)

Thanks all for the advice!! I don't eat dairy so I'm not sure how much of the local cuisine will be appealing to me 🤣

Ill report back on my birding/culinary experiences after my visit!

I don't eat dairy
Just in case, make sure you've thoroughly explained the details of your diet (especially concepts such as trace amounts or cross-contamination if they apply). As a coeliac, I'm not overly optimistic about what cooks/chefs here know about different diets, their outward confidence notwithstanding.

not sure how much of the local cuisine will be appealing to me
(Even before I stopped eating meat, my diet must have been peculiarly dairy-oriented, and it shows.)

Hello all! Just wanted to give a brief update! Unfortunately I was not able to travel at all during my stay in Poland, way more busy than I expected, and so I only lightly birded Krakow and near Klodsko.

However I am happy to report that the birding I did do was excellent!! 85 species in total, not bad for purely urban/rural countryside birding. Highlight for me was the woodpeckers, 7 species in total, Great Spotted, Middle Spotted, Lesser Spotted, Black, Green, Grey Headed, and Syrian, of which the last two were lifers! Some decent migrant action with about 100 or so Tree Pipits overhead on one day, Black Kite, Marsh Harriers in abundance, lots of Red Backed Shrikes, White Stork, Hoopoe, and excitedly two more species from my want list, Icterine Warbler and Collared Flycatcher! My one bogey was a grey male harrier that I viewed for about 5 seconds before it flew out of sight, could've been my first Montys but I couldn't clinch the ID 😭

Now onto the more important topic, the food! I was absolutely amazed with the availability and popularity of vegan food in Poland. Top notch!!! Had some really delicious food over there and especially pierogi are my new favourite thing. Unexpected but i was really glad to see the thriving of vegan cuisine in a place I would've never expected, so good and so affordable! I'll definitely be back:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back