• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Morocco (1 Viewer)

Stewart J.

Yo all, considering birding hol to southwest coast of Morocco next March, can anyone assist with advice on following?

1 Is this a good time or would later be better?
2 In the current climate is this a safe place to visit and bird on our own as obviously we'd be visiting remote locations?

Cheers,

Stewart

:h?:

Hi Stewart

April is better as there will be some migrants around but March is still very good.

It's a delightful and very safe place. You're safer over there than being in the UK at the moment i imagine. The scenery is among the best in the world. It has everything. Snow-capped mountains, deserts, lakes, sea and shore. You can stand in the desert watching Thick-billed larks with a backdrop of snowy peaks. Amazing

Driving is fairly easy too, roads are mostly empty etc. Accommodation is cheap, food very good.

All in all one of the best countries for birding and just travelling

Tim

Ditto to everything Tim has said - amazing country and amazing birds. Try birdtours.co.uk for trip reports, they are sure to have a few for Morocco at that time of year.

I agree. When I was there the only thing which was annoying sometimes were the police controls. But they were always polite and correct.
I can recommend the Birdwatcher's guide to Morroco by Patrick and Fédora Bergier.

Good trip
André

I'm off for a weekend next Friday, for my second visit to Morocco this year. See thread 48 hours in Morocco, which was my last visit in early March.

Great place for birding, can't wait!

Yo everyone and cheers for all the post's, thanks for the link Mark very informative. Ditto Tim much appreciated, and to anyone else who replies I'm off to rejoin my ship early hours of tomorrow for 4 weeks and don't have internet access so excuse any delays in acknowledging.

Stewart

Yo all, holiday now booked, Agadir mid March 2006 for 2 weeks to coincide with my leave period. You've all wetted my appetite.

Thanks, Stewart

Tim Allwood said:
nice one stewart

you're gonna have a great time and Agadir is a well placed base...

thick-billed Larks and Bald Ibis in the sun...

Tim

Cheers Tim would appreciate any sites etc, PM me

Stewart

PS Montenegro Sept any views?

Looking forward to your trip report Stewart as Agadir's a destination I'm considering for a holiday with the wife in September - other destinations on the shortlist are Turkey (Antalya) and Tunisia (Sousse).

I suppose this begs the question of what these places will be like in September and any info greatly received.

Thanks

Alan

Alan G said:
Looking forward to your trip report Stewart as Agadir's a destination I'm considering for a holiday with the wife in September - other destinations on the shortlist are Turkey (Antalya) and Tunisia (Sousse).

I suppose this begs the question of what these places will be like in September and any info greatly received.

Thanks

Alan
Hi Alan

very hot is the short answer

I spent a month in Turkey in August and Sept - was very very hot but i birded all day on occasion. Can be some good passage towards middle-end of month. Anatalya is a decent base for the western part with some good sites in reach with a hire car such as Nigde Demirkazik and Goksu Delta / Tasuju - maybe even a day trip to Cyprus (Girne) for Cypres Warbler and Cypres Pied Wheatear

Tim

A quick response there Tim - thanks.

Turkey's my preferred choice as we're only going for a week (going away for a week near Ronda in May) and like the conveniance of a flight from Newcastle.

As for Cyprus - I spent 6 months in Cyprus (part of UN peace-keeping force at Nicosia Airport in the days when I wasn't a birder) and had the luxury of being able to flit in between the Northern & Southern sectors at leisure and the idea of a return visit appeals.

Alan

Hi Alan

ferry goes from Tasucu (tashuju), mega cheap and takes 2 hours. Cyprus Wheatear and Warbler can be seen around the Bellapais monastery just above Girne (a few mins from harbour!) A lovely place, can relax afterwards with a beer and salad at the monastery!

just might have to put up with EVERY Greek/Turk/Cypriot puking on the way. Was so bad the crew put me and the girlfriend on sick bag duty.

Tim

I seem to recall that I've been there - is it also known as Kyrenia?

I seem to remember having a decent bite of seafood in a taverna near a harbour.

Even more keen to head back now.

Alan

Sea sickness on that route seems to be the norm. A few with the problem on my return from Cyprus to Tasacu in 1996. I didn't notice any on the way out as I sat on deck at the stern of the boat (hydrofoil). N. Cyprus was the only place I ever wanted to leave asap. The natives were not friendly unlike on mainland Turkey where they were very hospitable. The Kyrenia area had suffered major scrub fires before I was there and birds were in very short supply.

Adrian

Yo Tim et al, just back from Morocco (late last night) it wa so good we intend returning possibly even later this year (end of Sept early Oct)

Lovely friendly people, superb hotel, food and staff, reasonably priced car hire, 7 lifers only disapointment was the lack of migrants but more than made up for with quality birds, Barbary Falcon, Marbled Duck, Bald Ibis (44 birds at 50 metres) Mousiers Redstarts (locally common) Red-necked Nightjar, flocks of Audouins Gulls etc. Will put together a report over next couple of weeks.

Being woken every morning by displaying BulBuls outside bedroom window was wonderful.

Stewart :bounce:

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back