• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Late for a Common Newt ? (1 Viewer)

hal2

This wednesday evening I was surprised to find a small Common newt in my dining room, (we're both in mid-worcestershire)

We've found common newts in the garden underneath paving stones, but I would have thought they would have all be hibernating by now.
The herpefauna site says they prepare for hibernation in september.

Does anybody know if they are still preparing, or running late as it has been fairly mild so far ?

Much thanks,

Hal2

nah newts don't actually hibernate like reptiles or mammals do, they will slow their metabolism right down in cool weather, and if there is a warm spell they'll come out again.

hal2 said:
This wednesday evening I was surprised to find a small Common newt in my dining room, (we're both in mid-worcestershire)

We've found common newts in the garden underneath paving stones, but I would have thought they would have all be hibernating by now.
The herpefauna site says they prepare for hibernation in september.

Does anybody know if they are still preparing, or running late as it has been fairly mild so far ?

Much thanks,

Hal2

A couple of years ago I found a common newt walking across a path on Surrey heathland in December. It was a cold day too, nearby ponds had a thin layer of ice on them, but the sun was out which may have encouraged this individual to have a wander.

Keith

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back