• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brighton seawatch (1 Viewer)

jforgham

Birding for fun
Hi,
I am dropping some people off in Brighton this Sunday and will have 3 - 4 hours to spare. Could anyone recommend a good seawatching point not more than 30 mins by car from Brighton city centre. I shall be around from 10.30 - 2.30.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Jono

jforgham said:
Hi,
I am dropping some people off in Brighton this Sunday and will have 3 - 4 hours to spare. Could anyone recommend a good seawatching point not more than 30 mins by car from Brighton city centre. I shall be around from 10.30 - 2.30.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Jono

Brighton Marina is pretty good, if the weather is not too harsh. There's a big, free carpark there too, plus chance of Purple Sandpiper, Shag, and maybe an unusual gull in the area.

Not the best time of year for sea-watching but you might get a few auks or the odd diver.

I'll second Brighton Marina. Used to do a fair bit of sea-watching from there when I was at uni. Along with the birds Ben mentioned you should get Rock Pipit and there used to be fairly regular wintering Black Redstarts.

A little further away is Seaford Head (could combine with a trip to Beachy Head).

Hi Ben and Marek,
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have time to discover both. Having driven from Herts I really don't want to spend more time driving, so these sound ideal
I'll let you know of any specials that I may encounter.
Jono

Hi,
Thanks for the suggestions. Spent a short damp time at Brighton marina, not too much happening, 1 med gull of note. Moved on to Seaford Head where had 3 rock pipits, several passing fulmar and another med gull in field behind esplanade. By now thoroughly wet so moved along to Cuckmere Haven where added redshank, little egret, shelduck and 1 yellow legged gull in field with sheep. Several stonechat showing well, plus tawny owl in 7 sisters country park. Turned out to be a pleasant afternoon and lovely walk along the river to the sea.
Thank you for guiding me to these places, well worth returning at a more appropriate time for sea watching.
Jono

Edit: Forget to include black redstart at Newhaven level crossing as I waited for train to pull in, plus a fox running alongside me as I drove towards Saltdean.
Jono

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back