• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Short trip to Leighton Moss 26 -29 Feb 24 (1 Viewer)

BriLee

England
Stayed 3 nights in Carnforth, catching the early train ( 05 49 ) train to Silverdale for Leighton Moss, weather a mix,with sunny periods a few afternoons.6 Bitterns were booming,and I finally saw 1 briefly on last morning from the newish lagoon/Islands created off the boardwalk,as it was starting to come light,too dark for pics though ! An Otter showed really well fishing in front of the Lower Hide for 30 mins. A female Ringed Necked Duck showed really well from Grizedale,Lillian Hides, also a strange looking Shoveler/Cinnamon Teal hybrid.A Great White Egret caught a sizeable Rudd,which took it 20mins to swallow.Good numbers of Cettis Warblers were calling,managed a brief pic of one. Marsh Harriers were busy,numerous food passes were observed,saw 7 up at one point. Saw Spectacular Starling Murmuration from the Sky Tower,though it absolutely tipped down, the few of us up there got soaked,but it was worth it.so considering the changeable weather,a really good trip.Regards Bri.

Attachments

• Cettis Warbler.jpg
    Cettis Warbler.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • Grt White Egret with Rudd .jpg
    Grt White Egret with Rudd .jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
  • M Marsh Harrier .jpg
    M Marsh Harrier .jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Otter .jpg
    Otter .jpg
    525.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Ringed Necked Duck .jpg
    Ringed Necked Duck .jpg
    615.6 KB · Views: 20
Stayed 3 nights in Carnforth, catching the early train ( 05 49 ) train to Silverdale for Leighton Moss, weather a mix,with sunny periods a few afternoons.6 Bitterns were booming,and I finally saw 1 briefly on last morning from the newish lagoon/Islands created off the boardwalk,as it was starting to come light,too dark for pics though ! An Otter showed really well fishing in front of the Lower Hide for 30 mins. A female Ringed Necked Duck showed really well from Grizedale,Lillian Hides, also a strange looking Shoveler/Cinnamon Teal hybrid.A Great White Egret caught a sizeable Rudd,which took it 20mins to swallow.Good numbers of Cettis Warblers were calling,managed a brief pic of one. Marsh Harriers were busy,numerous food passes were observed,saw 7 up at one point. Saw Spectacular Starling Murmuration from the Sky Tower,though it absolutely tipped down, the few of us up there got soaked,but it was worth it.so considering the changeable weather,a really good trip.Regards Bri.
Glad you enjoyed your trip. Its a marvellous bird reserve; they've put in lot of hard work over the years.
I only live 6 miles from there but haven't been for about 15 years - I'm allergic to hides. :D
Also there's so many good birdwatching spots around here there's plenty of alternatives.

Last edited:
Glad you enjoyed your trip. Its a marvellous bird reserve; they've put in lot of hard work over the years.
I only live 6 miles from there but haven't been for about 15 years - I'm allergic to hides. :D
Also there's so many good birdwatching spots around here there's plenty of alternatives.
Thanks,it's a Beautiful part of the World for sure,with some great Wildlife,the views from Warton Crag to the Lakeland Fells with a dusting of Snow,were Special too ,regards Bri.

Attachments

• Lakeland Fells .jpg
    Lakeland Fells .jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
always a special place for me as it was the first reserve i ever visited in november 1987 aged 15 on a coach trip with either the huddersfield birdwatchers club or the huddersfield rspb group, very basic back then the reserve. a special place hope your doing well brian longtime no see, used to bump into you up walshaw and whiteholme. i now spend most of time around mytholmroyd im usually found wandering the paths up daisy bank and towards stoodley pike

always a special place for me as it was the first reserve i ever visited in november 1987 aged 15 on a coach trip with either the huddersfield birdwatchers club or the huddersfield rspb group, very basic back then the reserve. a special place hope your doing well brian longtime no see, used to bump into you up walshaw and whiteholme. i now spend most of time around mytholmroyd im usually found wandering the paths up daisy bank and towards stoodley pike
Nice to hear your early experience there .ps I seem to remember watching Little Stints at Warland Res with You ? remember the Birding Logbook we used to stash in the rocks at Whiteholme ?? That's a few years back ha ha 😂 I'm up around Stoodley Pike quite often hopefully bump into you some time, regards Bri.

Nice to hear your early experience there .ps I seem to remember watching Little Stints at Warland Res with You ? remember the Birding Logbook we used to stash in the rocks at Whiteholme ?? That's a few years back ha ha 😂 I'm up around Stoodley Pike quite often hopefully bump into you some time, regards Bri.
the notebook under the rocks thats a memory around 1996 and yes the little stints great birds
the last house on pinncle lane is great for migrants in the first week of august
when the weather feels right my partner will drop me off at withens clough and ill walk back my years of green withens has taught me to look around the bracken great source for migrants

all the best

Users who are viewing this thread

Back