• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

feral parrots in fla (1 Viewer)

rhunter

Does anyone know where i can find current info on feral parrots in florida,planning on going there this year and would like to see some.Last time i was there i saw monks and was wondering if anyone knows how many live in florida,would also like to know about other parrots and there numbers,has anyone tried to count the parrots to get a idea of how many there are and if they are breeding.All the info i fine is at least 5 years old or older would like to find current info about these birds

Psittacids

Pranty, B., and K. Garrett. 2003. "The Parrot Fauna of the ABA Area: A Current Look." Birding 35.3: 248-261. [a short summary of Florida's parrots, followed by extremely useful species accounts]

Pranty, B. 2005. "Parakeets, Macaws, and Parrots." in J. Alderfer, ed. 2006 [appeared 2005]. National Geographic Complete Birds of North America: 307-313. [identification and detailed status information for 17 species, most of them in Florida]

Hi.

I'm not sure about their populations in Florida, but it may surprise you that wild Quaker Parrots are alive and well in the Northeast. I have seen them in both New York and Connecticut. Couldn't believe what I was seeing at first, but they have apparently been here for awhile.

Just thought I'd share that with you.

Ray

Feral Parrots in Fla.

rhunter said:
Does anyone know where i can find current info on feral parrots in florida,planning on going there this year and would like to see some.Last time i was there i saw monks and was wondering if anyone knows how many live in florida,would also like to know about other parrots and there numbers,has anyone tried to count the parrots to get a idea of how many there are and if they are breeding.All the info i fine is at least 5 years old or older would like to find current info about these birds

I'm currently staying in Pompano Beach Fl.,and I saw several feral parrots in the park right near the lighthouse inlet. They seem very happy and are even nesting in the palm trees. If you need more info you can email me at [email protected].

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back