• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

We saw the Audouin's Gull (1 Viewer)

Very, very nice.

Only found out about it by luck.

Just loafing in a hide at Stodmarsh when someone told us about it.

An hour later we had it.

Even I heard about it whilst out birding today from a guy with a pager about it being down at Dungeoness. I saw one last year in Majorca, but it would be nice to see one in this country.

Congratulations on the sighting. Anyone get a photo of it for the site ?

Hi all,
Wow!Wasn't online since Sat and just found out that there has been an Audouin's Gull at Dungeness,as predicted a few days ago by Richard Millington on the Surfbirds mailing group!
What age was it,and could it be the Dutch bird heading west?If not,then there could clearly be more around and I'll have to look out for one here:would be a first Irish record(as I'm aware that this one is a first for Britain)!
Well done to all who saw it!
Harry H

It was ace - will post a duff but recognisable picture to the thread sometime soon once I have resized it. Expect there's one on surfbirds allready!

Ivan

Nothing on surfbirds.........yet!!!

I've heard it's a second winter Harry, in which case it's almost certainly the Dutch bird

This'll be the first acceptable one!! remember the one claimed here in Cornwall about six years ago? I know the chaps who saw it and they're adamant about the I.D.

Only four more days at work before I can go and see it!!

Darrell

So here is a picture - very poor quality, and very poor handiwork but was a bit excited at the time!!!

Ivan

Attachments

• dscn0818web (small).jpg
    dscn0818web (small).jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 351
My jealousy knows no bounds, but how the hell am I going to find an excuse to escape from work and family over the next day or two!

No skill on my part at all - just turned up joined the crowds and said WOW.

As I understand it the bird was picked up by the guys at the bird obs (responsible for finding so many good birds that those such as I twitch) so all credit to them. Of course apologies if I am misinformed and it was found by A.N.Other.

Ivan

Hi Darrell,
Point taken:I don't know the lads who had the Cornish Audouin's so I couldn't comment on that sighting,but quite willing to concede that it was one!
Nice shot,probably the same bird.....just keep heading west,PLEASE!!
Harry H

In all honesty I've never even heard of it. But sounds like good stuff for you folks.

I would be interested to find out a little more about it though, where's it usually found ? Why is it so rare ? etc....

Karl,

Audoins Gull is so special because it has long been predicted to turn up in Britain but never has - until now!

They are a Mediterranean species, best found on the East coast of Spain (Mallorca is good) as well as Italy, Greece and Turkey.

They were once very rare, and seeing one was the highlight of any trip . Over the past decade or so they have extended their numbers, to the extent that they have been seen in France - away from the Med, and now this bird has been seen in the Netherlands and here in Britain. Lets hope it's the first of many.

Darrell

I have had plenty in the Med but would love to see one over here. I wish I could get down there to see it but I have no chance. BTW it is on surfbirds now and consensus of opinion appears to think that it is the same bird that was in the Netherlands.

Ivan,
Hope you don't mind but I have taken your picture and lightened it a little and it shows up the bird really well. I am in deepest Gloucestershire and haven't been to see it so I am really appreciative of being able to see it in a photo.

Colin

Attachments

• aud.jpg
    aud.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
Thanks Darrell.
Good to see any bird extending it's numbers, well most anyway. And if it is on the increase then it sounds reasonable to suspect it won't be the last one you see.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back