• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minolta 10x50 (1 Viewer)

si654

I tried some of these by accident, they are my friends pair i think they were called standard EZ or something and they were at least a couple of years old. I asked him if i could have a look through them wow i was so impressed with the quality of them the field was wide and the view was bright and the eye relife was also pretty good for 10x it was like someone wiped my eyes clean shame you dont hear much about the minolta line i guess there pretty underated..

Last edited:
I have a Minolta Standard Extra Wide 10 x 50 binocular. I bought in circa 1979 for casual astronomy. I paid $80.00 for them new. They really are a very good binocular; very solid and rubber armored. They are multi-coated and have FOV of 410' at 1000 yards. They have a very short eye relief and Bak7 prisms, but despite that, they are surprisingly bright. I've used them at Hawk Mountain and they performed very well on high and distant migrating hawks. They are still excellent astronomy bins. All in all, a surprisingly good binocular for the price.

Konica-Minolta recently went belly up, a victim of the digital wars and a lawsuit brought by Bell and Howell (a shell company living on it's patents) against them for the auto-focus system they used.

Bob

Minolta Standard XL 10x50

si654 said:
I tried some of these by accident, they are my friends pair i think they were called standard EZ or something and they were at least a couple of years old. I asked him if i could have a look through them wow i was so impressed with the quality of them the field was wide and the view was bright and the eye relife was also pretty good for 10x it was like someone wiped my eyes clean shame you dont hear much about the minolta line i guess there pretty underated..

I have a pair of Minolta Standard XL 10x50s and I think they are very sharp and clear. I was supprised that there isn't more about the Minolta's here.

David Enoch

DavidEnoch said:
I have a pair of Minolta Standard XL 10x50s and I think they are very sharp and clear. I was supprised that there isn't more about the Minolta's here.

David Enoch

I have a pair of Minolta Standard XL 7x50 (7.5°). I picked them up in cash converters for about £25.00.
I love them dearly, I've used and abused them heavily and they're still beautifully crisp. I keep taking them along with me to compare with the vast array of more expensive, lighter, slick looking bins on the market and, so far, I always end up leaving with just my Minoltas and a spring in my step content with how much money I've saved.
I even managed to convince myself they weren't that much inferior to a pair of Leicas I tried the other day.
Love is blind.

scooby said:
I have a pair of Minolta Standard XL 7x50 (7.5°). I picked them up in cash converters for about £25.00.
I love them dearly, I've used and abused them heavily and they're still beautifully crisp. I keep taking them along with me to compare with the vast array of more expensive, lighter, slick looking bins on the market and, so far, I always end up leaving with just my Minoltas and a spring in my step content with how much money I've saved.
I even managed to convince myself they weren't that much inferior to a pair of Leicas I tried the other day.
Love is blind.

I have 5 pair of binoculars and the Minolta Standard 10x50s and my Fujinon Marine 7x50s have the best optics. I have bought all of my binoculars used, most from pawn shops and my latest, a pair of Bushnell Custom Compact 6x25s off of e-bay. My wife and I go to Colorado in the summer for a week and the Fujinons and Minolta Standards are the only ones that are good enough to watch elk about a half mile away. Of course, the Fujinon Marine 7x50s weigh a ton and the Minolta Standards are pretty heavy also, so I often use some other, lighter binoculars.

David Enoch

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back