• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sky Rover 8x30 ED first (underwhelming) impressions (1 Viewer)

yarrellii

Supporter
I really like the 8x30/32 format, to my eyes it hits a sweet spot for versatility, optical performance, ease of use and portability. I have just checked, and 8x30/32 is by far the most repeated format of all the binoculars I've had, accounting for 31 models, followed by quite a margin by 7x42 with 12 models. I find 8x30/32 just suits my needs very well for a general birding binocular (when I'm not using the IS 12x36, that is). Then if you combine 8x30 with Porro prisms the result can be addictive. One of my all-time favourites is the Nikon EII 8x30, which I enjoy using every week, but which has its limitations (I've suffered internal fogging, fungus, and then it has this awkward tilt when hanging from a neck strap), so the prospect of a modern waterproof 8x30 Porro really entices me. Now enter the Sky Rover ED 8x30.

As a counterbalance for the mighty EII there's (yes you've guessed it) another of my all-time favourite binoculars, the value king Kowa YF (and it's siblings and II iteration). So for this short first impressions post I'll be using both the more expensive EII and the cheaper Kowa YFII, both 8x30 Porro I'm very familiar with.

SkyRover830_01.jpeg

The Sky Rover feels well in the hand, it's compact, the body appears somewhat stubbier than the EII (which is already pretty stubby). It weights exactly the same as the EII, to the very gram: 565 g. On first impression, I really liked the form factor, but after comparing them back and forth, I think I still prefer the more sculpted "shoulders" of the EII. The YF II feels toyish in comparison. It is much lighter and all the materials seem less durable. However, having used it for several years, and having tortured a YF as a glovebox unit, I can't fault Kowa's build quality.

The SkyRover impresses at first sight with its metal body and what seems a very solid build. However, after playing it for a while, you discover things that somehow diminish that perception. The dioptre adjustment ring feels a little flimsy, and what seems to be a solid axis/shaft in the hinge (like in the EII) is actually a sleeve that you can turn accidentally with your fingers. When focusing and using a classic Porro I tend to rest my finger on the axis of the bridge, and withouth noticing I've actually rotated this black metal sleeve making the serial number appear on the front of the axis and not on the back as it originally was.

SkyRover830_06.jpeg

The glass on the eyepieces of the SkyRover is wider than that on the EII, however the coatings seem to reflect more light (I honestly don't know wether this is actually relevant or not). This is also the case on the objective lenses. Above Kowa, in the centre SkyRover, below EII.

SkyRover830_02.jpeg

The glasses on the EII seem to reflect less light. Also, when looking inside the tubes of the SkyRover you can see that the finish is not as refined, materials are cut more "raw/rough" and show irregular borders, not polished and refined.

The view through the SkyRovers is very nice, full of contrast, maybe a little more than the EII, colour balance seems also alright. CA is really well controlled, I'd say better than the EII and the Kowa, even though neither has a poor performance in this area. Despinte not wearing glasses, I can't see the entire FOV of the EII (this happens also with other wide angle binoculars, especially Porros, where I can't see the field stop using a natural viewing position). I reckon I get to see around 8,5º of the 8,8º, so the difference in FOV between what I can see in the EII and the SkyRover is hardly noticeable.

BUT... now comes the underwhelming bit. The moment I've started using the SkyRover for a longer while, chasing passerines among branches I've discovered an extremely annoying effect. I'm not fussy about edge performance, neither am I obsessed with super wide fields. These are things I can value (I use both an EII and an ELSV) but I'm not anal about them. However, when the degradation of the image becomes bothersome then we have a problem. I've had this happen with some models. I remember the view through the 7x33 Celestron Granite: it was wide and the centre was very crispy, with a great feeling of depth, but after a while I discovered a really annoying feeling that I was looking at a doughnut of blur that surrounded a sharp centre with a very abrupt transition. Well, here I've experienced something similar. The blurriness becomes simply bothersome, it affects the view. I'm not prone to feeling nauseated by a fuzzy or blurry view, the way some people get somehow dizzy by extreme low distortion (like in the EL), but here it is very annoying because it simply distracts you from what you are looking at.

I'm well aware that taking pictures through the eyepiece of binoculars is often a bad idea if you're trying to represent what your eyes see, but either way I've tried to capture what I see. Here I've looked at an almond tree that has a nest box. I've placed the nest box on the lower end of the FOV and here you can pretty much see what I see (including the blue ring on the field stop in the SkyRover.

EII - SkyRover - YFII

SkyRover830_03.jpeg

As you can see, the performance of the SkyRover is really poor. The Kowa is only 7,5º, but even if you try to cut out the outer degree of the SkyRover, the view is equally blurry. Again, I'm not bothered by poor edge performance, it's not that, what spoils the view is the way this creeps towards the centre to the point that when following a bird jumping from branch to branch it becomes unbearable.

To see the extent of this, I've tilted ever so slightly the tripod head I was using in order to place the nestbox to about 1/3 to 1/4 inside the FOV.
Again: EII - SkyRover - YFII.

SkyRover830_04.jpeg

As you can see, even if I've erred on the safe side and the nest box on the image through the SkyRover seems to be the one furthest away from the field stop, it is by far the worse. Again it's quite amazing how well the Kowa performs. In fact, comparing the SkyRover to the Kowa, I'd say that they perform according to price. Yes, the view through the SkyRover seems to be a bit more vibrant and the image seems to display a little more contrast, but the difference is not staggering. The little Kowa holds its places as a great entry-level propostition.

In terms of usability I've basically, encountered something I find unacceptable for the price and aspirations.

But then I've discovered something else... After using the SkyRover some more, I've started to feel some discomfort, probably stemming from the fact that the two tubes provided a distinctly different view. No sooner said than done: I've compared both tubes using the same eye and there is a clear (and I'd say beyond acceptable) difference in performance. All the pictures above have been taken through the right tubes of the binoculars, and it turns out the right tube on the SkyRover is clearly subpar. While the left tube still offers a pretty poor edge performance, it's not as terrible.

Left - Right

SkyRover830_05.jpeg

As you can see, the image really degrades on the right tube (pay no attention to the colour bias, I have not noticed that when in use, it has probably more to do with the automatic white balance on the camera). You can also see the blue ring on the field stop, that can also be viewed when in use.

So I'm probably dealing with a subpar unit, which does not speak highly of SkyRover quality control. Yes, probably all binoculars have slight discrepancies between the two tubes, even more so at this price point, but I've discovered this because I felt something weird while looking through the binoculars (somehow the same way you can feel a slight eye strain after using slightly out of alignment binoculars for a while).

As a side note, I just can't get over how good both the EII and the Kowa YF are. Yes, I think that in 2023 the EII is overpriced and I don't think I'd buy one for the going prices it has. Yes, the Kowa YF has become pricier, not "around the 100 € mark" anymore, but more like 160 - 170 €, and it's getting some serious competition from the likes of Svbony (although this is not a Porro and still has to prove it can match Kowa in terms of reliability and QC). So, my quest for a binocular that blends the virtues of the EII and the YF still continues... In my dreams I see a Kowa YFII Plus, at around 250 - 300 €, with improved coatings, FOV, focus wheel and construction. Or else an EIII with updated coatings, waterproofness and a quicker focus wheel.

Last edited:
Good review and feedback yarrellii, thanks.

I like small porros and have had the EII on my watch list for a while now, but the prices vary with the cheapest seen as £575+

As I have Opticron T WP + SR.GA + Savanna (= Kowa YF) & Celestron Ultima, these are fulfilling this size desire for the moment.

IIRC Neill English suggests that the EII is a step up from the above list, but not by much and TBD if paying £575+ would result in a disappointment.

I was under the impression the Sky Rover was similar to the APM porros and in-between the T WP/Ultima and the EII.

If the Oberwerk SE or Moon-Star APO 6.5x32 IF were available here, without crazy import costs, I would consider them, as they both get good reports.

Last edited:
@exup You have a nice bunch there!
I personally think that 575 GBP is just too much for an 8x30 EII, that's almost 670 €! Now that is a lot of money! I think I would spend those somewhere else, unless I really really desired the EII. A few years ago it could be bought for nearly half as much, which I think is were the EII got its reputation as a great value proposition. The view through the EII is really relaxed, amazing for a 8x30 and the mechanics are really top notch in terms of quality. Mine is +5 years old and the focus wheel works like the first day, as does the hinge. My only gripe is the lack of waterproofing, which in my case has caused some fungus and also has got it fogged internally several times. But on pure view and mechanical quality is really a nice binocular. One thing that wouldn't hurt would be a little more contrast. I had the Vixen Foresta Porro 8x32 and the view was noticeably "crispier" so to speak.

I haven't used the SR.GA, but I had a Vixen Ultima Porro 8x32 that I think is a very similar model, a well made Japan Porro with tons of performance. I would agree that the EII is above all you mention, and rightfully so, given the price. This Sky Rover offers great things in terms of sharpness and CA, but I don't think is brighter than my 2018 EII (I checked under very dark conditions and could not see a great difference if any at all). But what really breaks the deal is the mentioned blur on a big part of the FOV. I think the right tube on mine is subpar, so a good unit should theoretically offer better performance, so maybe it can be a good alternative for the SR.GA, especially considering it's waterproof. My hopes were that it could compete with the EII, even losing some FOV (which I don't mind at all), but unfortunately my unit has not been able to provide an adequate level of performance. I have always read positive reviews about the bigger brothers of this 8x30, the 7x50 and 10x50, and also the small 6x30 seems to have had a warm reception.

As for the Oberwerk, while the 8x32 Nikon SE is one of the binoculars I hold in highest esteem and respect (every time I use one I'm left in awe) an 800 g 8x32 makes no sense to me... I mean, as an 8x32. If I chose to use an 8x32 is mainly due to its size and weight, so I have no interest in them.

Good review and feedback yarrellii, thanks.

I like small porros and have had the EII on my watch list for a while now, but the prices vary with the cheapest seen as £575+

As I have Opticron T WP + SR.GA + Savanna (= Kowa YF) & Celestron Ultima, these are fulfilling this size desire for the moment.

IIRC Neill English suggests that the EII is a step up from the above list, but not by much and TBD if paying £575+ would result in a disappointment.

I was under the impression the Sky Rover was similar to the APM porros and in-between the T WP/Ultima and the EII.

If the Oberwerk SE or Moon-Star APO 6.5x32 IF were available here, without crazy import costs, I would consider them, as they both get good reports.
Hi exup,

What are your impressions of the Celestron Ultima? How do they compare with your other porros. I've been looking at getting a porro. (I have a Trailseeker ED 8x42 and two SV202s, 10x42 and 8x32)

Hi exup,

What are your impressions of the Celestron Ultima?
I'm not exup but I do own the 8x32 Ultima, got it when it was on sale on Amazon for around 60€ and for that money it is fantastic. It is the exact same model as the Opticron Adventurer T WP porro just with minor cosmetic differences.
The APM 6x30 has better coatings however (the 6x30 version of the Sky Rover basically) but it also has this effect described here. And the bluriness is asymetrical on mine when I compare the upper and lower part of the image. I still like the 6x30 and the center sharpness, color and contrast are excellent.
Someone suggested on cloudynights, I think (or was it here, I cannot remember?) that this is because of the construction. Those single-body binos (unlike the Zeiss body porros) have a prism cage that can be tilted with screws and counter-screws to achieve alignment. If this is done sloppy you end up with different amounts of blur in different parts of the FoV. Would be interesting to open one of them up and see if that could be adjusted. So basically, sloppy QC or a construction flaw.
For the price I paid for the APM it is still good but the deal for the Ultima was fantastic. And the field curvature seems to be symetrical on the Ultima. So if you can get it for a good price -- go for it. If it is near the price of the Kowa YF, I might go for that one instead, even though I don't own a Kowa YF (yet).

edit: @yarrellii
Thanks for the report! Could you check if the bluriness differs between the top and bottom of the image, like it does on my AMP 6x30? On my 6x30 it is almost a "bathtub" effect with more bluriness on the top than the bottom.
However after just using them again and comparing them -- it doesn't seem to be as bad as I remembered. I still like the 6x30 APM but THE best 6x bino I ever looked through (despite the old coatings) is still my vintage 6x25 skeleton bino with 11.5° FoV.

Last edited:
@rajas
Sorry for the delay in replying. I echo what Binocollector has said.
The Ultima 8x32 is a good small porro, same as the Opticron ( I have in 6.5x32).
I find the 8x32 'better' than the x6.5. The FC is more noticeable in the x6.5 and the 8x32 focusses past infinity enough for my myopia (-7), whereas the x6.5 requires glasses. These small porros have tightish ER, so glasses are useable, but a bit challenging.

I find the sv202s good, perhaps better in many ways compared to the porros; except roofs don't have the porro image or nice form factor in handling or as wide a FoV.

I do find the sv202s better than the Trailseekers (non ED), but not quite up to the Opticron Verano 8x32s larger sweetspot.

Oh and I got the Ultimas for about £50, similar to Binocollector, so I too got a bargain.

I suppose I should count myself lucky then. I have the sky rover 6x30 and both sides seem to have axially symmetric aberrations and are identical to each other. I do think the edge sharpness is a little lackluster for having a <60 deg AFOV but other than that no real complaints optically.

@Binocollector I'm afraid the SkyRover are already on their way back to the seller, so I can't check that, sorry. However, while reading you I remember I had read a thread were there was a discussion about this issue. I didn't look for that specifically, but I think there was some asymmetry, both vertical and horizontal, I think the QC of the image sharpness seems to be all over the place.

While looking through my unit I had the same feeling as when you are wearing glasses and one lens has a large smudge of grease on a considerable portion of the lens which in turns seriously gets in the way when looking at things, and in the end it is simply unbearable. Probably had both tubes been equally bad I would have just thought that the product itself was not brilliant, but in this case my impression is that we are dealing with a serious QC fault unfortunately.

As for the Ultima, I've used both the 8x32 and 6,5x32 Opticron (siblings of the current Ultima), and while I found the 8x32 to be really nice, the 6.5x32 were a small disappointment. Well, not much to complain about at that price point. I wrote about it here (about the 8x32 and a little below about the 6.5x).

There was a previous Celestron Ultima Porro (non waterproof), which are siblings of the Vixen Ultima Porro (and probably many others, or at least related to things like the Opticron HR) and it was a very nice Porro actually. I have the 8x32 and 7x50 and have them in great esteem.

Canip wrote about them in his amazing PINACOLLECTION: Vixen Ultima 8×32 ZR – Binoculars Today

One thing to note about the Opticron Traveller is that, amazed by my experience I recommended them to a good friend of mine and her unit was faulty and after a while went out of collimation; was sent to Opticron but it went off again, and so on. So, after a few months is simply unusable.

Last edited:
@yarrellii
Thanks :). It really sounds like you had a faulty unit. While my APM 6x30 has some weaknesses, I think it is overall still a very good bino.
What I noticed when comparing the same model in 6.5x32 and 8x32 - this was true for the Kowa BDII as well as the Opticron/Celestron - the 8x32 will always have less blur at the edge.
In the end - all of these are cheap Chinese binos (the Opticron and Celestron - the BDII Kowa is still a different beast) where one specimen might be excellent and the next one barely usable.

@yarrellii
Thanks :). It really sounds like you had a faulty unit. While my APM 6x30 has some weaknesses, I think it is overall still a very good bino.
What I noticed when comparing the same model in 6.5x32 and 8x32 - this was true for the Kowa BDII as well as the Opticron/Celestron - the 8x32 will always have less blur at the edge.
In the end - all of these are cheap Chinese binos (the Opticron and Celestron - the BDII Kowa is still a different beast) where one specimen might be excellent and the next one barely usable.
The same goes for our Sky Rover ED 6x30, it’s not perfect but its very well constructed and produces a very pleasant optical view. It’s now on sale from Sky Rover for $179.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back