• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Frogs galore (1 Viewer)

helenol

Does anyone else having frogs living in their plant pots on the patio? Almost every pot I have has a frog in it. They are all over the place. We don't have a pond, but 2 doors away they have a small one.

It doesn't matter what part of the garden it is, there is a frog - even in the veg patch underneath the lettuce! I have now put down a couple of cheap containers underneath the bushes etc for them, filled with a little water for them. One thing, there aren't many slugs in my garden especially on the lettuce.:t:

I don't know that I have lots of frogs but they seem to like the marigolds under the Kitchen window, there's usually one or two. I'm not sure where the nearest pond is!!

One evening, a year or so back, I put the car in the garage opened the front door and then went to unload the boot. Upon return there was a "leaf" on the mat but when I bent down to pick it up it hopped. Almost had a heartattack!!

Yes... me too helen.

We don't have a watery garden at all, although we do have pleant of cool shady vegetation.

Our garden is a bout half a mile across a rough field from a pond - put I'm not aware of any neighbours having water in their gardens.

Partnyorsha, who reckons to know about these things, says they are actually small toads, but we have had a few hopping across the lawn into the undergrowth, and I'm pretty sure I saw one in the herb garden last night as I was inspecting an unusual caterpillar.

And now you mention it... we don't seem to have any slugs!

I think I have finally made the connection between building a pond and the Hosta's surviving! They used to be eaten to death. So it's the frogs is it? Good for them.

James

I recently had one living for a while in a partly rain-filled (but otherwise empty) plant trough. If you'd like to give your frogs a treat, you could give them some mealworms for supper. Last year I fed some of our pond frogs with these, and it was most amusing watching them eye up these tasty morsels, before grabbing them.

Elizabeth! Hello again.

Re giving the frogs mealworms, I have enough to contend with with the hedgehog. We had an enormous hedgehog visiting this last few weeks, then the other night we discovered a really small one had taken its place. Needless to say the young hedgehog is having a ball at the moment with its mealworms!

Lucky you, Helen (and sounds like lucky hedgehogs too)! Our hedgehog stopped coming several weeks ago - I hope it wasn't a traffic victim, but that's probably the most likely answer. It used to come regularly several times each night.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back