• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leave a comment (1 Viewer)

Wow - I can't believe that's a sunflower, it's certainly a new way of looking at them; the detail is amazing and colour too.

Sonia

WOW, brilliant photo! I saw the ants straight away and thought that they looked as though they were in 'farming mode' and then saw the ahids! I have a few sunflowers of all sizes in my garden at the moment, have to have a look to see wether there are any ants and aphids on them.
Don't know about any other birders/gardeners out there but I often have ants farming in my garden. Last year it was on my lupins and the aphids were the big, woolly grey type...absolutely sucked the life out of the plant and it had to pulled up eventually and thrown away! This year though, they are on the Sambucus nigra (common elder) and the plant does not seem to be suffering any side effects. Obviously tougher than lupins!
Sure I read something somewhere about aphids being an important food source for young birds...sure house sparrow was specifically mentioned... so I just ignore any 'pests' I find on my plants...would rather sell my bins and scope than use poisons in my garden!!!
Brilliant pic though...shows just how attractive and fantastic plants are! More please!!!

Thanks for bringing this one to our notice. Frequently I don't get to see some of the pics as they show up and this one was definitely a "must see"! Thanks
Becky

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back