• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2nd Pair / Upgrade for Birder - Advise Needed (1 Viewer)

Many years ago when we had less money, I bought Zen-Ray Vista 8x42 binoculars for my wife. She is a birder and still uses them often.

I'd like to purchase either a complementary second pair or an upgrade to the Zen-Rays. We are going to Costa Rica soon - to the Osa Peninsula to be exact - a birder's paradise. Additionally, we are going on an Alaskan cruise (inside passage, therefore, calmer waters... I think 10x would be okay [maybe?]) in mid '24.

I've been eyeing Maven binoculars for some time. They seem to be of outstanding value and I appreciate that they're somewhat American made, as well as having an outstanding warranty.

In particular, I'm strongly considering the B.3 8x30. I've also looked at the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32, however, the increased price does not seem to be worth paying over the B.3. Both would be better for hiking in Costa Rica than what we have now. I think I'd like to stay at or below $1,000 max here. Mavens at ~half that are definitely appealing.

For Alaska, unless you feel strongly otherwise, I think I'd go for a 10x42 model. Similar price point of $1,000 or less.

In the end, it would leave us with a travel 8x30/32, existing Zen-Ray 8x42, and the 10x42 for sea birding. I can see us bringing the 8x30/32 and the 8x42 to Costa Rica and then the 8x42 and 10x42 to Alaska... unless we are just so wowed with how much better higher quality binoculars are and leave the Zen-Rays in the dust... eventually replacing them with better 8x42s.

Please let me know your thoughts. I've tried to do some research on my own but admittedly am a novice.

An Opticron 8x32 Hands Down....and I have tried them all. Beats Maven, Monarch, GPO etc...and for $500 is way less than a Conquest. Opticron is one I have come to appreciate and customer service is excellent, Jim

Optics are not a good place to save money.

My advice would be to spend the $1,000, and not half that, or consider buying used from a reputable dealer.

Even if you buy used, spend the $1,000. You will get a much better glass for your money.

Last edited:
I think the Mavens are assembled overseas, no? Quality control is just domestic. The glass I believe is made-in-Japan. (?)

For clarity, you're looking to make two binocular purchases? A travel 8x32mm and then a more high powered 10x42?

Before you jump for the 10x for sea birding you might want to find out if the person can handle the extra magnification. Have they ever commented that they felt magnification was lacking in 8x42? I know that has been my experience but others feel differently -- and, as you suggest, it's use-case/setting specific too.

I think the Mavens are assembled overseas, no? Quality control is just domestic. The glass I believe is made-in-Japan. (?)

For clarity, you're looking to make two binocular purchases? A travel 8x32mm and then a more high powered 10x42?

Before you jump for the 10x for sea birding you might want to find out if the person can handle the extra magnification. Have they ever commented that they felt magnification was lacking in 8x42? I know that has been my experience but others feel differently -- and, as you suggest, it's use-case/setting specific too.
Japanese components that are assembled in the US.

Yes, that is right. 8x30/32 and a 10x42 to complement the 8x42 we have already. Alternatively, I could replace the 8x42 Zen-Rays with a better set of 8x42s.

The binoculars I have used on my six trips to Costa Rica were Swarovski 10x25 CL Pocket Mountain. They are compact and even inside their carry case can fit in a jacket or vest pocket or a water bottle pocket. At 12.35 ounces they can be worn around my neck for hours and I would not want to do this with full size binoculars.

A larger alternative is the Nikon Monarch M7 10x30 that weigh 16.6 ounces. I like a 10x binocular but my wife much prefers 8x ones and that is all that she will use. The one place where the 8x is better is on a small boat and we have often hired small boats to look for wildlife in Costa Rica.

Personally for 8x30 and your budget I would take a Nikon Monarch HG 8x30. Have not tried the Maven but it's got the plastic body I am not fond of.

For $1000 the MGH 10x42 is also very nice and lighter than most 42's which is good for travel and hiking.

Still, take the Opticron Verano.... assembled in Japan....I would take that over assembled in the US for now. Price wise, better than the Maven..... Optic wise, better than the Maven, the Monarch, etc...as I listed prior. Also, $ wise when compared to the Conquest or the Monarch HG....sure, they are better but the whole point of this thread is to show the best value for the money at that $500 price point. Heck if money isn't an option, go to a $2000 bin. So, for the money, the quality, the value...take the Verano.

They have it listed for $609 but at B and H etc...you get it for $490. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1696759-REG/opticron_30780_8x32_verano_bga_vhd.html

An Opticron 8x32 Hands Down....and I have tried them all. Beats Maven, Monarch, GPO etc...and for $500 is way less than a Conquest. Opticron is one I have come to appreciate and customer service is excellent, Jim

Sounds like he has tried all of those in 8x30/32 and likes the Opticron Verano best. I've never looked through any of those models in 8x32 but if I were buying, I would try the Verano. However, you'd probably still be pleased with the Maven. If either of you wear glasses consider one of these that has longer eye relief.

For 10x42 if neither of you wear glasses I'd consider the Tract Toric UHD 10x42. It's in the same performance range as Nikon Monarch HG, Zeiss Conquest HD, and Leica Trinovid HD but at a few hundred dollars less. Lifetime warranty and customer service. However, if either of you DO wear glasses, then I'd recommend Nikon Monarch HG or Zeiss Conquest HD as the eye relief works better on these for glasses.

Sounds like he has tried all of those in 8x30/32 and likes the Opticron Verano best. I've never looked through any of those models in 8x32 but if I were buying, I would try the Verano. However, you'd probably still be pleased with the Maven. If either of you wear glasses consider one of these that has longer eye relief.

For 10x42 if neither of you wear glasses I'd consider the Tract Toric UHD 10x42. It's in the same performance range as Nikon Monarch HG, Zeiss Conquest HD, and Leica Trinovid HD but at a few hundred dollars less. Lifetime warranty and customer service. However, if either of you DO wear glasses, then I'd recommend Nikon Monarch HG or Zeiss Conquest HD as the eye relief works better on these for glasses.
Thank you. I should have added - neither of us wear glasses. We are in our 40s, so that likely may change as we age with whatever we choose. But, for now, thankfully, no glasses are needed.

Talk to Pete Gamby here on the forum....maybe he has a loaner pair of Verano's he can lend you to try out. I know he is now based in England but there is Opticron USA located someplace back east. Give them a call too.

Talk to Pete Gamby here on the forum....maybe he has a loaner pair of Verano's he can lend you to try out. I know he is now based in England but there is Opticron USA located someplace back east. Give them a call too.
I'm looking into these now. B&H has a solid return period now - until 01/31/24 - so I could buy them there and try them out. I could bring them to Costa Rica with us and stay within the return period.

I dont think Pete is active on here anymore.....no response from similar requests for a while so regrettably that avenue is most likely now historical. And member searches prove fruitless.

Japanese components that are assembled in the US.

Yes, that is right. 8x30/32 and a 10x42 to complement the 8x42 we have already. Alternatively, I could replace the 8x42 Zen-Rays with a better set of 8x42s.
The 7x28 Maven's I briefly had said "assembled in the Philippines" -- not sure about the rest of their lineup though.

If I were in your position, with the $1k budget and impending trip to a tropical island I would go for the Meopta 8x32 B1+ which is currently on sale. Those binoculars are on the top of my to-try list and seem to fit one of two of your needs. I believe they're known for having great fov.

Last edited:
I wrote this earlier thinking it was here but it was in a private message:

What about this crazy thought? Go big or go home.

Zeiss Victory SF 8x32​

Take the budget of the two I was considering and just buy this one.

I'm looking into these now. B&H has a solid return period now - until 01/31/24 - so I could buy them there and try them out. I could bring them to Costa Rica with us and stay within the return period.
You would take bins to CR on vacation and return if you don't like them? Sorry... that sounds totally not-in-keeping with spirit of 'returns' policies. Color me old-fashioned.
I have returned items but only if they have been handled the absolute minimum possible for evaluation. I certainly would not want to purchase item 'as new' that had traveled on vacation with someone!

I misread your original posting where you stated a $1000 or less on your budget. So, given that $1000 price point ..I too (post 14) would go first with the Meostar B1 or 1.1 or B1 Plus etc.. (all about the same) ... but find the B1.1 or B1 on sale (Under a $1000) and you have one of the best there is. Second, the Opticron Verano if you want to spend around $500.

I wrote this earlier thinking it was here but it was in a private message:

What about this crazy thought? Go big or go home.

Zeiss Victory SF 8x32​

Take the budget of the two I was considering and just buy this one.
Your comment carries with it the implicit assumption that you're getting double the performance for double the price, which may or may not be true. Conversely, a $1k instrument might be able to do 80% of what the $2k instrument can do. That may or may not be true too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back