• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wader ID (1 Viewer)

Michael W

Mountain Chickadee
Here's a wader for ID.
It was taken at a lake in Idaho.

Good luck!
Michael

Attachments

• 142_4201.jpg
    142_4201.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 310
I think Solitary Sand too, but if it isn't, then I'll go for Spotted Sand. But with very little conviction - only Solitary has that prominent a white eye-ring

Michael

That's right, it's a Spotted Sandpiper in winter plumage. I didn't mention that it was bobbing, which is a characteristic of the Spotted Sandpiper. Also, Solitary Sandpipers don't come through here very often, but that doesn't mean anything. Sibley's shows the Spotted Sandpiper with a white eye-ring.

Michael

Hi Michael

I've seen both Green Sands and Wood Sands bob (Europe's replacements for Solitary, all three being small Tringa spp.), though not with the intensity that Spotted Sands/Common Sands (both Actitis spp.) do

Michael

You may be right about this one guys. It wasn't bobbing a whole lot. If Solitary Sandpipers do bob, I won't hold to it that it's a Spotted Sandpiper.

Michael

Hello again!
My dad (an avid birder who was present at the time of the sighting and grew up seeing lots of Solitary Sandpipers) and I have done a little researching and have come up with the following characteristics that convince us that it's a Spotted Sandpiper:

1. It "bobbed" as apposed to "nodding".
2. It flew with stiff wings.
3. Spotted Sandpipers are common in that area.
4. The sandpiper had a sort of a striped eye ring.
5. The sandpiper was more stocky than a typical Solitary Sandpiper.

Refer to "Peterson Field Guide to Birds", "The Audubon Society-Master Guide to Birding", "Stokes Field Guide to Birds", and "The Sibley Guide to Birds".

Thanks,
Michael

I have to concur with this as a Solitary Sandpiper. The eye ring is obvious. The legs are also too long to be a Spotted Sand, and there seems to be one or two white spots on the back - these would be black in Spotted.

Darrell

Despite what appears to be one white spot on the upperparts which might suggest a molting adult Solitary Sand I'm in favour of this being a Spotted due to the very brightly coloured legs (fleshy yellow on my monitor and lacking the green tones of even the palest Solitary). The eye-ring is indeed prominent but so is that of Spotted, especially when viewed at an angle that means adjacent supercillium can't be seen.

Knowing the date would help.

I don't think the behaviour stuff will help much though the stiff wing action seems very significant.

Did the bird have a wingbar?

Although only a minor clue the habitat here is typical for Spotted but would be odd for Solitary. Solitary is a scarce bird in Wash. State as mentioned above.

I think that this is a Spotted then but that it happens to look like a Solitary in Jizz and due to a cruel trick played by the angle and light.

Spud

1) The leg colour is well within the range of Solitary Sandpiper,
2) The uniformity of the size of the eye ring is right for Solitary (Spotted would show a thinner lower-half even at this angle),
3) The lack of white behind the eye is right for Solitary (Spotted would still show some white super, even at this angle).
4) The scarcity of the species in Washington State is completely irrelevant as is the choice of habitat for a 'vagrant'.

But that's only my opinion and I've been wrong before.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back