• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good online moth site (1 Viewer)

steve_nova

Just found this really excellent site with very good quality photos devoted to UK moths.

It could be of some use to those frequently at a loss to ident a subject.

Though broken down into families, then sub-families, the huge number of species to trawl through may be off putting. There is an option to search with thumbnail images too.

Still worth a look though.

http://cgi.ukmoths.force9.co.uk/index.php

Hi Steve,
Found this site a few days ago when a photo of what looked like a woolly bear caterpillar was posted up for ID. I wasn't sure wether they get Tiger Moths in Canada( or USA, can't remember which it was!) so I posted the address onto the post.
Had a look at a few species...it really is a brilliant site...should prove extremely useful for those of us who are into other forms of wildlife as well as birds!

Check out my site at the url below. Follow the link to backyard moth trapping.

I wouldn't claim it's anywhere near as good as Ian Kimbers excellent site, but an advantage may be that it only contains photos of about 210 of the commoner moths you are most likely to get in your garden, and gives an indication of which are the commonest. Ok, since I live in North West England, there will be common garden moths elsewhere which I don't get, but at least it is a start if you're trying to identify a moth you've just found in your garden.

Colin

I've used the http://www.leps.it/ site - it's fantastic and there are so many - if you're a novice like me and don't know the family you can spend a whole evening looking for that moth. Worth it when you find the one tho isn't it.
It's been a challenge finding sites that cover France (that I can understand as my French is awful). Please keep posting good bug sites as I still have a few mysterious crawlies on film.

Jen

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back