• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Algarve Butterflies (1 Viewer)

Ruby

Hi Guys,

Off to the Algarve in a few days to stay at Tavira for a week....

We've been there before, so know some of the local birding hotspots, and I imagine that the excellent habitat would attract lots of good butterflies in the Spring and early Summer - question is whether there will be many butteflies still around in late August...we've never been at that time of year before... I've had a look on the internet and most butterfly info seems to be from the May/June time of year.

Anyone any experience of what we might find now??

Thanks... Ruby

Hi All,

This wasn't read by many people first time around, so just bumping it up in case anyone can give me any 11th-hour advice....

butterflies on the algarve

Hi Ruby
I was out in the Algarve a fornight ago and had quite a few Monarchs and Swallowtails also saw a lot of tiny blue butterflies but which species of 'blues' they were I do not know. Apparently Monarchs like milkweed so if there's any
about keep an eye out for them.
Also if you visit arocha.org/portugal there is a down loadable pdf file for their 2004 report which gives a detailed analysis of their research work they did on the Alvor estuary and what butterflies they recorded. I know you are visiting Tavira but it might give you an idea of what butterflies could be seen hope this helps regards Jack.

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the info - just got back last night....

Have to say that it was a bit on the slow side butterfly-wise - saw a few bits but nothing to write home about and it was certainly too hot to go looking!

I think I checked the site that you mentioned - they publish regular survey findings by number & species going back several years, if we're thinking of the same one....

I did notice that their final recording was on August 17th each year (which probably should have told me something!) - I'll double check the site when I get a minute.

I'll be posting up what I did see on my 'Butterflies for Learners' thread a bit later on....

Rgds.... Ruby

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back