• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baader Hyperion 21mm and FP-80ED (1 Viewer)

JGobeil

Nature Photographer
I have read comments about Hyperions having diffuculty to reach focus with spotting scopes. Does anybody use that configuration ? Comments please.

I plan to get that eyepiece for digiscoping, using a Canon A95.

Hi JG:

just received my 65EDII yesterday, and my hype 21mm would NOT come to infinity focus, but i'd guess is good out to 300 yards or so. might work for close-in to moderate-out viewing.

the stratus 17mm works just fine, would focus on moon with some additional far focus travel to spare.

hope this helps.

oops just noticed you were really interested in 80mm which i have no experience with and might work.

I have read comments about Hyperions having diffuculty to reach focus with spotting scopes. Does anybody use that configuration ? Comments please.

I plan to get that eyepiece for digiscoping, using a Canon A95.

Hello JGobeil.
I use the Hyperion 21mm with my PF80. Highly
delighted with it. Sadly, it's the Zoom that doesn't reach
focus. It will not go in far enough. There seems to be an
extra collar on it for some reason. This collar can't be
removed!

Kindest regards,
young Ian.

Hello JGobeil.
I use the Hyperion 21mm with my PF80. Highly
delighted with it. Sadly, it's the Zoom that doesn't reach
focus. It will not go in far enough. There seems to be an
extra collar on it for some reason. This collar can't be
removed!

Kindest regards,
young Ian.

Thanks for the info Ian. If I understand correctly, you have 2 Hyperion EPs - a 21mm and a Zoom and the zoom one doesn't reach focus. Am I right ?

Regards
Jules

Thanks for the info Ian. If I understand correctly, you have 2 Hyperion EPs - a 21mm and a Zoom and the zoom one doesn't reach focus. Am I right ?

Regards
Jules

Jules,
So very sorry for not replying sooner. But somehow
your question slipped through the net.
If it's not too late for you the answer is :-

I bought the 21mm Hyperion EPs for my PF80ED
with-which I was highly delighted.
I then bought the Zoom which I returned as it didn't
reach focus. ( No way could it be made to-do so,it
just would not go in far enough)

I have since purchased the Pentax SMC 8-24mm Zoom.
But,I find the 21mm Hyperion is the one I use the most.

Kindest regards,
young Ian.

Hi again Young Ian....i am interested in the Hyperion zoom working on the Vixen GeomaED/opticron Imagic...Did you try the Hyperion Zoom on the Imagic?..i am sure it fits on the m35 thread and with all the extra fucus passing infinity in this scope ,i would be more than inclined to believe that this zoom would reach focus in the scope.....

Hi again Young Ian....i am interested in the Hyperion zoom working on the Vixen GeomaED/opticron Imagic...Did you try the Hyperion Zoom on the Imagic?..i am sure it fits on the m35 thread and with all the extra fucus passing infinity in this scope ,i would be more than inclined to believe that this zoom would reach focus in the scope.....
------------------------------

Hello mayoaya,
Although we've chatted on another
thread. I will answer your question here.

Hi again Young Ian....i am interested in the Hyperion zoom working on the Vixen GeomaED/opticron Imagic...Did you try the Hyperion Zoom on the Imagic?..

The ' Hyperion' will not fit the Opticron Imagic.
The Hyperion is of the 1.25 barrel fitting, too big
to go into Imagic eyepiece recess.
Also, there are no threads on the Hyperion.

Kind regards,
young Ian.

Young ant :See the attachment on my other thread....the Hyperion ZOOM,not the 21mm,has threads,that would show when you unscrew the 1.25 barrell...and it comes also ,in the standard kit,with a couple of adapters..one of them fits the opticron....

Young ant :See the attachment on my other thread....the Hyperion ZOOM,not the 21mm,has threads,that would show when you unscrew the 1.25 barrell...and it comes also ,in the standard kit,with a couple of adapters..one of them fits the opticron....

mayoayo,
Thank you for your explanation. Yes,
I do recall that the barrel did unscrew etc.
Being overcome with grieve, it not focusing in
the PF-80. I returned it to the supplier.
It did not occur to me at the time, still
suffering from 'pangs of distress', to try it in
the Imagic. All this happened a year ago.
Now after reading your comments. I find
myself relapsing into deep depression for not
giving it a go in the Imagic.

Kindest regards,
young Ian.

In case someone is reading this, with interest to digiscopy, the new 24mm version would be better - lower power. Don't know if it will reach focus.
The Hyperion Aspheric Eyepiece 31mm and the 35mm version also would be great, if will reach focus...
If someone tested these combos, let us know!

David

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back