- Coccyzus rufigularis
- Grey above with reddish-brown primary patch
- Reddish-brown throat and breast
- Ochraceous belly and undertail
- Glossy black tail with broad white tips to rectrices
- Heavy, curved bill
Hispaniolan Lizard-Cuckoo is equally large but has a pale breast
Hispaniola and Gonave Island -- endangered due to both hunting and to habitat loss.
Seems to prefer dry forest but can be found in other habitats from lowland to mountains and also in rainforest.
Feeds on a variety of small animal matter.
- Clements, JF. 2008. The Clements Checklist of Birds of the World. 6th ed., with updates to December 2008. Ithaca: Cornell Univ. Press. ISBN 978-0801445019.
- BirdLife International
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) Bay-breasted Cuckoo. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 11 April 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/wiki/Bay-breasted_Cuckoo