- Vireo bellii
- Dull olive-grey above
- Whitish below
- Faint white eye ring and wing bars
- Olive green rump
- Grey-black bill
- Brown eyes
- Dark grey-blue-black legs
Polytypic. Consists of four subspecies.
- V. b. medius:
- V. b. bellii:
- V. b. arizonae (Arizona):
- South-western US; winters from Baja and central Sonora to Colima
- V. b. pusillus (Least):
- Arid southern California; winters to southern Baja
Arid scrubland areas.
The diet includes insects and spiders.
It makes a well-camouflaged basket-like cup nest from grass, straw-like stems, plant fibres, small skeletonized leaves, paper, and strips of bark fastened with spider silk;it is lined with fine, brown or yellow grass stems. Outside it is decorated with spider egg cases. 3-5 white with sparse spotting eggs are laid.
- Clements, JF. 2008. The Clements Checklist of Birds of the World. 6th ed., with updates to December 2008. Ithaca: Cornell Univ. Press. ISBN 978-0801445019.
- BirdForum Member observations
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) Bell's Vireo. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 28 January 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/wiki/Bell%27s_Vireo