- Piaya melanogaster
38cm (15 in)
- Black belly and crissum
- Orange-buff throat and breast
- Grey cap
- Rufous-chestnut upperparts
- Red bill
- Yellow loral spots
Forest and low scrubby woodland areas. Occurs from lowlands up to 800m.
Feeds on insects, including caterpillars, beetles and ants. Feeds mainly in the canopy.
One breeding record in July in French Guiana. The nest is undescribed.
This is a resident species.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, D. Roberson, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2016. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: v2016, with updates to August 2016. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Del Hoyo, J, A Elliot, and J Sargatal, eds. 1997. Handbook of the Birds of the World. Volume 4: Sandgrouse to Cuckoos. Barcelona: Lynx Edicions. ISBN 978-8487334221
- Arthur Grosset
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) Black-bellied Cuckoo. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 14 April 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/wiki/Black-bellied_Cuckoo