- Anairetes nigrocristatus
13 cm (5 in)
- Elongated crown feathers forming bifurcated crest
- White crown and nape patch
- Black overall plumage with white streaking
South America: found in the Andes of extreme southern Ecuador and western Peru (south to Pasco)
This is a monotypic species.
High-altitude arid scrub. Woods and dense shrubbery along streams and ravines.
Their diet consists almost entirely of insects. They forage alone or in small groups; sometimes seen with mixed species flocks
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, D. Roberson, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2018. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: v2018. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- BF member observations
- Handbook of the Birds of the World Alive (retrieved November 2018)
 External Links