- Pterodroma nigripennis
28–31 cm (11-12¼ in)
- Upperparts ashy-grey
- Upper wings brownish-black
- Underparts white
- Underwing white, with black diagonal stripe
- White forehead, chin and throat
- Greyish collar
- Black bill
- Pinkish legs and feet
Pelagic when not breeding.
There is not a lot of information available. They are, however, known to eat cephalopods, prawns and insects.
Nests in crevices or burrows.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, D. Roberson, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2018. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: v2018. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- New Zealand Birds
- Handbook of the Birds of the World Alive (retrieved March 2019)
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) Black-winged Petrel. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 27 January 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/wiki/Black-winged_Petrel