- Coeligena lutetiae
14 cm (5½ in)
- Velvety black upperparts
- Glittering green front
- Short buff malar stripe
- Buff wing patch
Two subspecies are recognized.
- C. l. lutetiae
- C. l. albimaculata
- West slope of the Andes of northwestern Ecuador (Carchi south to northern Bolívar)
High elevation temperate (cold and wet) rainforest reserve with pasture.
Their diet consists mostly of nectar with the addition of arthropods.
They lay 2 white eggs in a cup-shaped nest, which is built about 3 m above ground in a tree fork.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, T. A. Fredericks, J. A. Gerbracht, D. Lepage, S. M. Billerman, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2022. The eBird/Clements checklist of Birds of the World: v2022. Downloaded from https://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Gill, F, D Donsker, and P Rasmussen (Eds). 2022. IOC World Bird List (v 12.2) DRAFT. Doi 10.14344/IOC.ML.12.2. http://www.worldbirdnames.org/
- Handbook of the Birds of the World Alive (retrieved June 2015)
- BF Member observations
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2023) Buff-winged Starfrontlet. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 3 December 2023 from https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Buff-winged_Starfrontlet