- Charadrius pallidus
Length 15 cm, mass 28-39 g. The smallest Charadrius species.
Upper parts are very pale grey (C. p. pallidus) or brownish-grey (C. p. venustus), and under parts are white with a narrow chestnut breast band.
- C. p. venustus: Smaller and has darker and browner upper parts than the nominate race.
- C. p. pallidus: Very pale grey upper parts.
Saline lagoons and pans; less frequently estuaries and sandy lagoons.
Found singly, in pairs, or in flocks. Forages for insects on the soil surface or in the water.
- Clements, JF. 2009. The Clements Checklist of Birds of the World. 6th ed., with updates to December 2009. Ithaca: Cornell Univ. Press. ISBN 978-0801445019.
- Gibbon, G. 2002. Roberts' Multimedia Birds of Southern Africa: Version 3. John Voelcker Bird Book Fund. www.sabirding.co.za
- Lepage D. 2008. Avibase. Search for "Chestnut-banded Plover" downloaded 19 June 2008.
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) Chestnut-banded Plover. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 2 March 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/wiki/Chestnut-banded_Plover