- Alectrurus tricolor
12cm (4Â¾ in)
- Black upperparts
- Grey rump
- White face and underparts
- White between wing tops
- Black patch on sides of breast
- Black tail with elongated tail feathers forming a crescent
Female - similar
- Normal-shaped, short tail
South America: found locally in eastern Bolivia, north-eastern Argentina, north-eastern Paraguay and southern Brazil.
This is a monotypic species1.
Lowland dry grassland and seasonally wet or flooded grassland with tall vegetation.
Their main diet consists of insects, particularly arthropods.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, D. Roberson, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2018. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: v2018. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Handbook of the Birds of the World Alive (retrieved Sept 2018)
 External Links