Alternative name: African Golden-breasted Bunting
- Emberiza flaviventris
- White crown
- Black lateral crown stripes
- White supercilium
- Black-bordered white ear coverts
- Orange-yellow underparts
- Yellow throat
- Whitish lower belly
- Chestnut upperparts
- Grey rump
- Brown wings with two white wing bars
Sexes are very similar, but females - buff tone to head, browner head stripes, and the back may have dark streaks.
Young birds are duller and paler than the females.
Africa, south of the Sahara; absent from the equatorial forest belt.
Western Africa: Mauritania, Senegambia, Senegal, Mali, Liberia, Burkina Faso, Benin, Nigeria, Niger, Chad, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, DRC and Angola
Eastern Africa: Sudan, South Sudan, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, Tanzania, Zambia, Mozambique and Malawi
Southern Africa: Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, South Africa, KwaZulu-Natal, Lesotho and Swaziland
There are four subspecies:
- E. f. flavigaster: paler, redder back, pale grey rump, paler yellow underparts and whiter flanks
- E. f. kalaharica:
- E. f. flaviventris:
- Southern and eastern Cape Province to KwaZulu-Natal
- E. f. princeps: similar to nominate, but larger, and paler below
- Northern and north-western Namibia to south-western Angola
Dry open woodlands.
Primarily a highland species found either in pairs or singly. They are mainly seen foraging on the ground (although males can sometimes be seen singing from the tops of trees).
They build a cup nest lined with fine grass or hair low in a shrub. The 2-3 glossy, black-lined, white or cream eggs are incubated for 12-13 days; the young fledge in another 16-17 days.
A ground feeder, the diet includes seeds, insects and spiders and sometimes larger creatures when the birds have young to feed.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, D. Roberson, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2017. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: v2017, with updates to August 2017. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) Golden-breasted Bunting. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 16 October 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Golden-breasted_Bunting