Alternative name: Madeiran Storm Petrel
- Oceanodroma castro
- Sooty-brown plumage
- Narrow, rectangular, white rump patch
- Slightly forked tail
- Dark bill with tube on top.
Quick wing beats between glides on bowed wings.
It nests in colonies close to the sea in rock crevices and lays a single white egg. Nests are visited only at night.
The diet includes invertebrates, small vertebrates and sometimes carrion.
- Clements, JF. 2011. The Clements Checklist of Birds of the World. 6th ed., with updates to August 2011. Ithaca: Cornell Univ. Press. ISBN 978-0801445019. Spreadsheet available at http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/downloadable-clements-checklist
- Collins Field Guide 5th Edition
- Collins Bird Guide ISBN 0 00 219728 6
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) Band-rumped Storm Petrel. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 19 June 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/wiki/Band-rumped_Storm_Petrel