- Carpodacus puniceus
20 cm (7Â¾ in)
- Red forehead, face and throat
- Pinker underparts
- Dusky upperparts
- Curved culmen and ridged lower mandible
Asia: found in Turkestan, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, China, Tibet, Inner Mongolia, Nepal
South Asia: Pakistan, India, Eastern and Western Himalayas, and
There are 5 subspecies:
- Mountains of Kyrgystan and Tajikistan to south-western Xinjiang and north-eastern Ladakh
- South West China (Minya Konka to Mula region of extreme western Sichuan)
- West China (eastern Qinghai to Gansu and north-western Sichuan)
Their breeding areas are on montane plateaux, above the tree-line, on steep rocky slopes.
Their diet consists mostly of seeds, buds, flower-heads, petals and berries.
They are monogamous and solitary breeders. Their nest is a thick, bulky cup constructed from grass, plant fibres, roots and animal hair.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, D. Roberson, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2017. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: v2017, with updates to August 2017. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Handbook of the Birds of the World Alive (retrieved Feb 2018)
 External Links