Alternative names: Lemon-rumped Tinkerbird, Golden-rumped Tinkerbird, Black-chinned Tinkerbird
- Pogoniulus bilineatus
Length 9-12 cm (3½-4¾ in), mass 12-18 g.
Adult: Plain black crown and back. A white stripe extends backwards from the eye, and another from the base of the bill, through the lores to the sides of the neck. Rump yellow and upper tail coverts black. Chin, throat and flanks white to greyish white, chest and belly pale olive-yellow.
Sub-Saharan Africa: Senegal to northern Angola through coastal West African countries; Kenya to eastern South Africa through coastal East African countries; also southern Central African Republic, southern Sudan, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, Democratic Republic of Congo, northern Zambia, Malawi, eastern Zimbabwe highlands, and Swaziland.
White-chested Tinkerbird, Pogoniulus makawai is sometimes included in this species.
There are six subspecies:
- P. b. leucolaimus:
- P. b. poensis:
- Highlands of Bioko Island (Gulf of Guinea)
- P. b. mfumbiri:
- P. b. jacksoni:
- P. b. fischeri:
- Coastal Kenya to north-eastern Tanzania; Zanzibar and Mafia Island
- P. b. bilineatus:
Highland and lowland forests, forest edges and dense woodland.
The diet consists mostly of fruit, particularly mistletoe berries.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, D. Roberson, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2016. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: v2016, with updates to August 2016. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Hockey, PAR, WRJ Dean, and PG Ryan, eds. 2005. Roberts' Birds of Southern Africa. 7th ed. Cape Town: John Voelcker Bird Book Fund. ISBN 978-0620340533
- Handbook of the Birds of the World Alive (retrieved October 2016)
- Sinclair, I and P Ryan. 2003. Birds of Africa South of the Sahara. Princeton: Princeton Univ. Press. ISBN 978-0691118154
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) Yellow-rumped Tinkerbird. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 23 October 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Yellow-rumped_Tinkerbird