• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Through my Window......... (1 Viewer)

Judo

Hi All,
Firstly, an apology for my sketchy attendance on ex-beebs lately.....and also to apologise if my postings may be a bit erratic in the future too....the reason being....we have just put our house up for sale, and are busy looking for a future home! Anyone who has done the same, I think will agree, it's a fairly busy time ;)..........Anyway........here is my latest "Through my window" garden report.........
The garden and feeders have been so very busy with birds gathering food up to take to their young, the food disappears as fast as I can put it out!! with Robins, Starlings, Blackies, etc.....all fighting for the choicest mealworms and sultanas. Suet pellets too, are going down a treat. Saw my first baby Blackie of the year the other day, in my front garden, but didn't have my camera with me!! dashed back in the house for it....but...... Blackie baby had gone into hiding by the time I got back out!! typical!! oh well......hopefully there will be more that I do 'capture'. I'm pleased to report 4 Greenfinch are now daily visitors, so lovely to see them, after the devastation we suffered last year from that horrible Trich. disease. The Goldfinches are still regular visitors, with 6 at a time coming to feed on the Niger and Sunflower hearts, Dunnocks have been busy collecting nesting material, so hopefully some babies to follow. I'm worried that I haven't seen any sign of my Song Thrushes for a week or two......I'm hoping they are just busy elsewhere, and will pop back to see me soon. A Collared Dove juvenile came with it's parent to feed on the bird table, so that brings my tally of baby birds seen up to now to 3! I also saw the first Butterfly of the year, in my garden the other day, a beautiful Orange Tip, but no sign of any others.....maybe when the weather finally gets round to warming up a bit!!
Here are some photos of a few of my latest birdy visitors........whilst they are still 'mine' that is!!
The W.Pigeon is enjoying this mornings shower, and I caught a very brief glimpse of a G.S.Woodpecker in the Cherry tree, you can just about spot him in photo(8). Hope you enjoy them.........more to follow.....
My Best to You All,

Attachments

• 1)Robin.JPG
    1)Robin.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 2)Blue Tit.JPG
    2)Blue Tit.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 3)C.Doves.JPG
    3)C.Doves.JPG
    180.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 4)Blackbird gathering food.JPG
    4)Blackbird gathering food.JPG
    185.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 5)Starling gathering food.JPG
    5)Starling gathering food.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
.........a few more as promised.........

Attachments

• 6)W.Pigeon -enjoying a shower.JPG
    6)W.Pigeon -enjoying a shower.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 7)Blue Tit.JPG
    7)Blue Tit.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 8)G.S. Woodpecker.JPG
    8)G.S. Woodpecker.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 9) Greenfinch.JPG
    9) Greenfinch.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 10)Orange Tip.JPG
    10)Orange Tip.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 18
Lovely selection, Judo. Would love to have a GSW visit again, it's been ages since the last time, possibly because we don't have the right trees for him.

Are you moving far? I quite understand how busy you are likely to be over the next few weeks.

Hi Judo,

A busy garden you have! My garden has seen similiar activity to yours...minus the GSW though! Good to see the Greenfinch are doing well in your garden, I have had 2 and was thrilled to see them. I would love to see their numbers increase this year.

Great photo's, Judo...especially the Robin!:t:

Good luck with the move!

Hi Wendy & Pam,
Thank you ladies for your very kind comments.
Wendy, We would really love to move to Wales, somewhere more rural than where we live at the moment. Hope you get a GSW soon, and that I get another visit too, and some better photos!!
Pam, thanks for the good luck wishes, it's very early days yet, as the market (they tell us!) is very depressed at the moment, so it could take some time to sell our house! and of course, we have to sell before we can buy. Yes, I too am hoping for better numbers of Greenfinches for everyone, so I'm pleased to hear you have two.
Thanks again Both, glad you liked the photos,

Hi Judo

What a smashing selection of photos :t:

Good luck with your house hunting
Whoever buys your house is going to
inherit a great range of wildlife! |=)|

Regards

Hi Judo,
Looks like your garden visitors are keeping you very busy and entertained.
Good luck with your house sale. :t:

Hi Judo,a lovely variety of pics.:t:

Very best wishes for your move Judo.We have just completed ours hence why i haven't been around much either.I hope everything goes well for you.

Hi Judo,

A nice garden report, and a lovely set of pics. The Blue Tit looks very nice in all that colour. I hope you find a place with a similarly interesting garden.

Hi Judo.
Thanks for your 'Garden report'. It's good to hear that 'your' Greenfinches are picking up in numbers. I am seeing an increase this spring, I have four beautiful males and a couple of females visiting on-and-off. Goldies are reasonably constant at 5/6, and hopefully my 2 Robins will be 7 before long. Over the road, in view of the lounge window, a pair of Collared Doves have set up home behind my friend's Sky dish. The site wasn't used last year, but it's good to see it back in use.
Thanks for sharing your garden's doings with us.

Baz,

Hi Tony, pie, Mary & Roy,
Thanks to All of You, for your kind comments and your Good Luck Wishes. The next house will have to have a garden which will lend itself to wildlife, as I would hate to live without seeing some birdy friends each day, so it has to have the possibilities of making a wildlife garden, it's one of the reasons for thinking of moving at all, to get a bigger garden so I can hopefully do more for wildlife!! and Hubby can grow veggies!
My Best to You Ladies & Gentlemen,

Oops Baz, you snuck in while I was typing the other reply, didn't mean to ignore you.........Thanks for your very kind comments. It's good to know you have Greenies too, and your friends' C.Doves makes having a sky dish, (which if we're honest aren't very pretty!) worth having, to see it used in that way, good for them! I soooo hope 'your' Robins fledge successfully Baz, I'm following their progress with bated breath!!
My Best to You Baz,

Hi Judo,

Good selection you've got there, and now you're going to leave them all behind; shame!

Envious about the Orange Tip; I've seen several this year, including a couple in the garden, but none of them settled at all so no photo. I always wonder why the Woodies don't fall off the wire when they rain-bathe, they always look a bit insecure, but at least that one picked a good thick wire. That Blackie looks to be on a mixed diet.

Hope you find somewhere with a good birdy garden.

Bill

Hi Bill,
Thanks Bill for those kind words. Please don't remind me about deserting my birdy friends! I feel awful about that! yes, the one thing I'll be sorry to leave is the wildlife that I've managed to bring in! I'm hoping whoever buys our house will carry on with the feeding etc...
The Orange Tip was, unusually, content to keep still, I think it was just enjoying basking in a brief spell of sunshine after the rain!
Good to hear from you Bill,
My Best to You,

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back