• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moving/Will miss my birds (1 Viewer)

I am a bird lover since I was a little girl. I have always been a backyard birder too and I would say the past seven year, since we moved to Tampa, near the river, backyard birding has become my absolute passion.

After both of my basset hounds died from old age, my backyard birds really became wild pets to me.
I have many feeders, some exclusively for specific types, like worm feeders for Carolina wrens, peanut feeders for my chickadees and titmice and thistle feeders for my winter goldfinch visitors that come back year after year., and on and on and on.
My neighbors aren't interested in feeding birds but they often comment on how my yard sounds so lovely with all of the many different bird songs.

But now we are moving about 30 minutes north of Tampa and I have to say goodbye to my beautiful birds.

I knew it would be hard but I had no idea how hard. I watch my cardinals and wrens, blue jays and woodpeckers, year after year raise their young in the bird houses and shrubs I've provided for them and watch them eat from the feeders and plants that I planted solely for their benefit.

Everyone tells me the same thing, "You'll have new birds at your new house." This is true but I will miss MY birds. Birds have personalities and watching and caring for them day in and day out has formed a very strong bond.

I really don't know how to say goodbye to them.
I'll be living here for close to another month and I've read to cut back on their food little by little, so they aren't too alarmed when I leave. This is very very difficult.

I'm learning the more you love, the more it hurts to say goodbye. Even with wildlife.

Maybe leave a note for the next tenant to ask if they would be willing to keep feeding the wildlife. I bet the birds who you have welcomed and accommodated in your yard will miss you in some ways. Even though you may have to leave them behind, you will still undoubtedly be able to create the same sort of connections with your new garden critters.

Maybe leave a note for the next tenant to ask if they would be willing to keep feeding the wildlife. I bet the birds who you have welcomed and accommodated in your yard will miss you in some ways. Even though you may have to leave them behind, you will still undoubtedly be able to create the same sort of connections with your new garden critters.
This is a great idea! I will also leave some feeders and food for them too. You never know.

I am a bird lover since I was a little girl. I have always been a backyard birder too and I would say the past seven year, since we moved to Tampa, near the river, backyard birding has become my absolute passion.

After both of my basset hounds died from old age, my backyard birds really became wild pets to me.
I have many feeders, some exclusively for specific types, like worm feeders for Carolina wrens, peanut feeders for my chickadees and titmice and thistle feeders for my winter goldfinch visitors that come back year after year., and on and on and on.
My neighbors aren't interested in feeding birds but they often comment on how my yard sounds so lovely with all of the many different bird songs.

But now we are moving about 30 minutes north of Tampa and I have to say goodbye to my beautiful birds.

I knew it would be hard but I had no idea how hard. I watch my cardinals and wrens, blue jays and woodpeckers, year after year raise their young in the bird houses and shrubs I've provided for them and watch them eat from the feeders and plants that I planted solely for their benefit.

Everyone tells me the same thing, "You'll have new birds at your new house." This is true but I will miss MY birds. Birds have personalities and watching and caring for them day in and day out has formed a very strong bond.

I really don't know how to say goodbye to them.
I'll be living here for close to another month and I've read to cut back on their food little by little, so they aren't too alarmed when I leave. This is very very difficult.

I'm learning the more you love, the more it hurts to say goodbye. Even with wildlife.
I feel your pain! I recently moved but only a few minutes away and I really think my Cardinals followed me(!?) I was so depressed I started to put peanuts out, and they came. I understand what you feel because I miss my Blue Jays my woodpeckers my chickadees and my finches-even the squirrels!🥲💔

Users who are viewing this thread

Back