• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (6 Viewers)

There is no charge for Yorkshire Wildlife Trust members at Potteric now but non members day ticket is £3.

Hi Andy! Been a member of YWT probably almost as long as you but had to pay a reduced fee twice this year when I went for Caspian Gull. Believe it's a permit to cross the tracks. Can get an annual permit which would work out cheaper if I went again this year.
Article in Yorkshire Post today on Lower Derwent NNR. Haven't read it but does mention the Corncrakes.

Vince Cowell has been trying out his new camera set-up at Blacktoft - full results on the blog!

Attachments

• marshhar0.jpg
    marshhar0.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 93
Hi Andy! Been a member of YWT probably almost as long as you but had to pay a reduced fee twice this year when I went for Caspian Gull. Believe it's a permit to cross the tracks. Can get an annual permit which would work out cheaper if I went again this year.
Article in Yorkshire Post today on Lower Derwent NNR. Haven't read it but does mention the Corncrakes.

Entrance fees to Potteric changed a few weeks back, current rates on www.potteric-carr.org.uk or can be accessed by the YWT web site.
Regarding crossing the track details, you would have to ask the staff on site.
The article in the YP does cover corncrake and the other birds that use the ings and also MG4 grass land.

Hornsea Mere

Been down to Hornsea Mere again this weekend, not a lot in the way of variety but some nice birds all the same.
Also wood sandpiper,little egret,little gulls,oystercatcher.
More shots on the blog.

Attachments

• CS3.jpg
    CS3.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 100
  • CT4.jpg
    CT4.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 83
  • G3.jpg
    G3.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 94
Entrance fees to Potteric changed a few weeks back, current rates on www.potteric-carr.org.uk or can be accessed by the YWT web site.
Regarding crossing the track details, you would have to ask the staff on site.
The article in the YP does cover corncrake and the other birds that use the ings and also MG4 grass land.

That's positive news. Now how about getting rid of the charge at Spurn for members.
Good photo's Martin. Hope you'll post some on HVWG site.
Tophill Low NR
22 Crossbills
1s Little Gull
Common Sandpiper
Ruff
2 LRP
Hornsea Mere
100 Little Gull
4+ Common Sand
4 Oystercatcher

Last edited:
Splendid day out today, in the company of Marcus and Jim for most of it. Some photogenic Knot on, and a couple of Whimbrel over Filey Brigg in the morning, plus a few Sandwich and one Arctic Tern, but not the numbers of waders or terns hoped for and no skuas. A Little Egret at Filey Dams and then Goshawk and Crossbill at Wykeham but no Honey Buzzards, although we’re pretty sure we heard one calling on a couple of occasions.

After Jim and Marcus left I hung around for a while for more Crossbills and a handsome Yellow Wagtail (which I’d not seen at Wykeham previously), before a meandering drive home through some very pretty parts of the Wolds I’d never explored. A short walk at Wharram Percy produced juveniles of Blackcap, Whitethroat, Willow Warbler, Bullfinch, Linnet, Goldfinch, Yellowhammer and Song Thrush in great little area for farmland and scrubland birds, and a couple of further stops gave me cracking views of hunting Little and Barn Owls, and finally a singing Quail near Kirby Underdale.

Graham

Last edited:
That's positive news. Now how about getting rid of the charge at Spurn for members.
Good photo's Martin. Hope you'll post some on HVWG site.
Tophill Low NR
22 Crossbills
1s Little Gull
Common Sandpiper
Ruff
2 LRP
Hornsea Mere
100 Little Gull
4+ Common Sand
4 Oystercatcher

Just wondering if the Crossbills have been hanging around a while at Tophill ?

Thanks

Mal Skelton

Interestingly when the next debate comes round about a rare duck taking bread etc. these birds prove that taking bread doesn't equal captive origin. The adult female isn't interested but is happy to allow the juv's to take bread amongst the Mallards and Black-headed Gulls. Yet the same bird took them away when she spotted me trying to get a shot on my first night hiding down the bank when they were 30 yards away. Sometimes there is no reason to these actions, but clearly we have three wild juv. Goosander not long out of the nest happy to take bread at people's feet.

The four Goosander were roosting on the slipway this morning. Showing again down to a couple of feet. I'd get down there tonight Steve as I will deffo have the camera tomorrow and I bet sods law will strike!

The river is high after the rain so it is the only dry area left by the bridge :t:

Interesting to see if a constant supply of bread will keep them present for a while or whether the start of the school holidays will lead to too much disturbance.

Just wondering if the Crossbills have been hanging around a while at Tophill ?

Thanks

Mal Skelton

Don't tend to rang around. Usually, in the past, in the larches opposite the Members Hut. Morning tends to be best but even when there can be tricky as they hide among the cones. Listen out for the "chup" call then look for movement in the tree tops. If it's as good movement as last year should be pretty regular.

The four Goosander were roosting on the slipway this morning. Showing again down to a couple of feet. I'd get down there tonight Steve as I will deffo have the camera tomorrow and I bet sods law will strike!

The river is high after the rain so it is the only dry area left by the bridge :t:

Interesting to see if a constant supply of bread will keep them present for a while or whether the start of the school holidays will lead to too much disturbance.

Cheers Marcus. I need to pm you. Please can you free some space.

Congratulations Lawts on your Spotted Sandpiper pic in Birdwatching Mag!

I haven't altered the colour of the attached grasshopper seen this afternoon in a YWT reserve near the border between East & North Yorkshire - what stunning shades! Can't find it my books, but will keep looking! Anyone got any ideas? - it was among chalk if that helps.

Attachments

• 20-07-09GrasshopperWQ.jpg
    20-07-09GrasshopperWQ.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 100
Old Moor

Had a good day at Old Moor yesterday ..

The young Barn Owls are showing well at the entrance to the box and gave great views through the scope.

A couple of Green Sandpipers and a Garganey were also present. A Little Egret was on the wader scrape but disappeared over the horizon about 12:30 ish.

We had a great treat as a Sparrowhawk landed straight in front of us about 20 feet from the hide. It had caught what appeared to be a Starling or something.

Like a complete 'donkey' ,instead of grabbing the camera, I instinctively grabbed the bins to get a better look, I then grabbed the camera to get a good close-up shot but of course the Sparrowhawk had decided to leg it ... I ended up with a blurred shot of 'something' carrying a smaller 'something' .... bugger !!

Plenty of other stuff to see, Common Sandpiper, Ringed and Little Ringed Plovers, Dunlin, Shoveller, Ruddy Duck, Teal, Black Headed and Lesser Black backed Gulls, Common Tern and plenty more besides.

Not quite a perfect match Michael but similar is the purple form of the meadow grasshopper. There is a picture of one in this link http://www.david.element.ukgateway.net/grasshoppersandcrickets9meadowgrasshoppers1.htm
What do you think? Sex and age may make a difference to how they look I think.

Thanks Chris. As you say, not a perfect match, but antenna seems identical. See there is a new Grasshopper book for sale so may try & get that. I'm afraid I can't be be doing with trawling the internet, but very grateful you did!

Just been sent this link, which may complicate it even further! http://www.orthoptera.org.uk/picture_page.aspx?idx=2
Cheers

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back