• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trying to sweep up in Southern Israel 21-26 February 2020 (1 Viewer)

Hi Wolfbirder,

I think you are worrying unnecessarily about wolves. As far as I know there has never been a case of wolves killing a person anywhere in the world in all of history.

Not the case. There is even a recent case (last five years I think) of a jogger in Alaska being run down and killed by two wolves - which were subsequently hunted down and killed. There are over 300 million people in North America and substantially fewer wolves, so to me that seems disproportionate. :-C

Anyway, its still not something to worry about. At least camping alone in Israel you won't be in contact with a coronavirus carrier. :t:

John

I have to admit that on two separate nights at the same campsite near Iddan, I got my sleeping mat chewed by a stray dog (whilst sleeping on it). As for wolfs and hyenas, for all the effort we have put into seeing them, we found none, so they are definitely not very common. (Unlike in Oman where we saw two wolves and one hyena over say 15 hours of searching).

I'm not convinced that I definitely saw the 2 Wolves I mentioned, it just seems far more likely to be jackals of course. Their stride was more like a german shepherd though as they sprinted, and being chased in 4 x 4s makes me think wolf is more likely.

I doubt people bother chasing jackals in the desert, just because they were near human habitation?

But then again, what do I know about mammals. Less than I know about birds, and 'some might say' (as the Oasis song went) that ain't a lot :)-.

I see there has also been up to 15 Lichtenstein's Sandgrouse at IBRCE. Where on earth are they being found I wonder?

Last edited:
I've yet to be fortunate enough to come across Wolves whilst birding in Israel and I've been there a fair bit in the past 8years. I have been lucky however with the Hyena when one ran across the road infront of the car one evening and was seen in the headlights as it bounded towards Grofit, between Lotan and Yotvata.

In the southn you have more chance of being bitten by a Saw-scaled Viper if birding in the wadi's, we came across this one in Holland Park.

I'm due out in Israel next weekend but I have a feeling the U.K. will be added to the list of 'blocked' countries

Attachments

• 03.16 Sawscale Viper 063.jpg
    03.16 Sawscale Viper 063.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 42
I'm not convinced that I definitely saw the 2 Wolves I mentioned, it just seems far more likely to be jackals of course. Their stride was more like a german shepherd though as they sprinted, and being chased in 4 x 4s makes me think wolf is more likely.

I doubt people bother chasing jackals in the desert, just because they were near human habitation?

But then again, what do I know about mammals. Less than I know about birds, and 'some might say' (as the Oasis song went) that ain't a lot :)-.

I see there has also been up to 15 Lichtenstein's Sandgrouse at IBRCE. Where on earth are they being found I wonder?
I think the sandgrouse are being seen as flyovers at dusk and the drinking area is not yet known, I would have hoped some of the reeds at KM19 would get trimmed back to give the regular birds there more space to come down

Interesting stuff, cheers Steve.

That's one impressive-looking Viper! They are nocturnal hunters too, flipin eck I didn't even know about them.

Sadly, yeah its looking increasingly likely that getting into Israel is going to get more difficult.

Last edited:
I think the sandgrouse are being seen as flyovers at dusk and the drinking area is not yet known, I would have hoped some of the reeds at KM19 would get trimmed back to give the regular birds there more space to come down

Is it known in which directions are they flying? Because I can't really imagine them flying to KM19 over IBRCE, where would they fly from, the Red Sea?

Rough camping in E Turkey a few years back had an encounter with presumably either wolf or hyena (assume not wild dog) - never really been able to work out which as it was dark - woke up to see 3 large beasts looming over me and growling horribly about 5m away. They didn't shift at first.

Rough camping in E Turkey a few years back had an encounter with presumably either wolf or hyena (assume not wild dog) - never really been able to work out which as it was dark - woke up to see 3 large beasts looming over me and growling horribly about 5m away. They didn't shift at first.

Dan, now that would be very concerning.

Do hyenas growl? Genuine question.

Dan, now that would be very concerning.

Do hyenas growl? Genuine question.

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=201286 post #17

Checked back - "a sound like a heavy piston engine breathing, loudly and with huge effort. What? ..."

Wouldn't quite describe that as 'growling'? Wasn't a pleasant way to wake up at all! Annoying thing is I had my phone on me and an attempt to take a photo with flash may have produced something (as well as scaring off). Impression it could have been an adult with two large young, whatever it was.

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=201286 post #17

Checked back - "a sound like a heavy piston engine breathing, loudly and with huge effort. What? ..."

Wouldn't quite describe that as 'growling'? Wasn't a pleasant way to wake up at all! Annoying thing is I had my phone on me and an attempt to take a photo with flash may have produced something (as well as scaring off). Impression it could have been an adult with two large young, whatever it was.

Just read the whole report again, that experience would have killed me.
fantastic enterprising birding!

Frightening indeed. I had a rather unpleasant experience with a large dog in Georgia which went for me at a well known Wallcreeper site. I was grateful for my boots when it went for my calves and it ripped through my raincoat which it had sunk its teeth into and pulled. It certainly gave me a more cautious approach to such things. I've travelled with an experienced traveller who would always pick up some large stones whenever he perceived even a possible risk.

All the best

Sadly the fears about access are becoming true. All visitors to go into quarantine on arrival now according to BBC news . A decisive blocker for this years Eilat festival I guess

Frightening indeed. I had a rather unpleasant experience with a large dog in Georgia which went for me at a well known Wallcreeper site. I was grateful for my boots when it went for my calves and it ripped through my raincoat which it had sunk its teeth into and pulled. It certainly gave me a more cautious approach to such things. I've travelled with an experienced traveller who would always pick up some large stones whenever he perceived even a possible risk.

All the best

A tip for the future Paul, I occasionally come across Karakachans here which are pretty zealous in the protection of their charges (they will confront bears and wolves). Obviously I don't approach their livestock too closely, but if they do show an interest in me I find that stooping down to pick up a stone (it can be imaginary if none are to hand) is enough to give them pause for thought!

Chris

Self found birds like your Egyptian Nightjars are the stuff of dreams for me - just brilliant

Still giggling about the stress-induced loss of nose and ear hairs - patent the technique and you'll be rich!

Cheers
Mike

Self found birds like your Egyptian Nightjars are the stuff of dreams for me - just brilliant

Still giggling about the stress-induced loss of nose and ear hairs - patent the technique and you'll be rich!

Cheers
Mike

Thanks Mike, I always seem to have these moments when it comes to car hire !

It does seem to be just me. I can laugh at myself now.

With the Nightjars, I'm surprised they haven't been reported more often, bearing in mind they are known to breed at the northern end of the Dead Sea. I hope many others can enjoy them. Hope my report hasn't compromised their sensitivity, its always a difficult call.

Last edited:
Anyone using my report to go to Kalia, especially the map I drew, please note there is one small error, as you head north on Route 90, the turn into Kalia Plantation is NOT as I stated 50 metres after the KM283 marker post, it IS around that spot but infact I believe the left turn is 100-200 metres before the KM283 post.

So either way the turn is 'near the KM283 post' :)-. It will be obvious when you are there anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back