• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

18thC Dusky Thrush? (1 Viewer)

Jane Turner

I have in my hands the earliest bird book that I've ever been able to et my hands on. There are some fascinating entries - breeding Welsh and Derbyshire Golden Eagle, accounts of Ivory-billed Woodie, Great Auk and Dodo, but the following description most took my eye.

Unsually I'm failing to locate any reference to the book

Attachments

• SANY0001-10.JPG
    SANY0001-10.JPG
    263.5 KB · Views: 246
  • SANY0012-1.JPG
    SANY0012-1.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 264
  • SANY0013-1.JPG
    SANY0013-1.JPG
    168.6 KB · Views: 260
Cheers - looking like my £20 impulse purchase on Ebay y'day was a good move. It had 45 secs to go when I noticed it. Its looking like an even better purchase than my knockdown copy of the Witherby handbook, cheap because it was heavily annotated. What the seller had missed was that the notes were those of HG Alexander!

Yeah looks like a sound investment ...just remember never to use it as an actual reference book ..looks like the author got his 6 year old daughter to do the illustrations ...

Here are some more plates

A few megas here!

Attachments

• SANY0001-11.JPG
    SANY0001-11.JPG
    391.6 KB · Views: 109
  • SANY0002-11.JPG
    SANY0002-11.JPG
    277.7 KB · Views: 90
  • SANY0003-7.JPG
    SANY0003-7.JPG
    270.3 KB · Views: 105
  • SANY0004-9.JPG
    SANY0004-9.JPG
    268.7 KB · Views: 97
  • SANY0006-8.JPG
    SANY0006-8.JPG
    259.7 KB · Views: 102
I suspect the "Pied Feldefare" was more likely just a partially leucistic Fieldfare.

The "Nut-Gobber" sounds like a good description of a Nuthatch as far as plumage is concerned, with the only anomaly being that its dimensions have been inexplicably doubled. I wonder if someone somewhere along the line got the measurements mixed up with something like a Green Woodpecker...

"Northern Penguin" is clearly a Great Auk, and i'm presuming that "Cook Artic Bird" is a skua, although it looks a bit like a Frigatebird or Tropicbird!

"Red Coot-footed Tringa" - perhaps a Red/Grey Phalarope?

But I know what I'm going to be calling Nuthatches from now on....what a brilliant name. Up there with Stick-dicks....;)

Hi Jane,
I'm wondering if there is an entry for Honey Buzzard?
Your book (good find!) seems to date from the century after its first description (Willughby & Ray, 1676) during which it scarcely gets a mention in the literature I've reviewed (except by Gilbert White) until the earliest Victorian ornithologists began to take some notice of it.

I've long been after a copy of Willoughby... need 4k...

There is an entry for Bunney. I'll get it for you now

Attachments

• SANY0001-13.JPG
    SANY0001-13.JPG
    208 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Some more alternative names guessed from the descriptions

Pintail - Sea-Pheasant or Cracker

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...I/AAAAAAAADmw/tEtXv2Wr_L0/s640/SANY0008-3.JPG

Rathsher or Alderman- Ivory Gull - which does not like getting its feet wet, is so tame that you can knock it on the head with a stick and feeds on the dung of Sea Horses (seal?)

and the Dung-hunter or Struntgager - Arctic or Pom Skua, which is of indifferent eating

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...I/AAAAAAAADm8/h9MeZahtZb8/s640/SANY0004-9.JPG
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-...I/AAAAAAAADm4/eSTvXpSqCDI/s640/SANY0005-9.JPG
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-...I/AAAAAAAADm0/6zJ0rkyhm0A/s640/SANY0006-8.JPG

There is an entry for Bunney. I'll get it for you now

Many thanks Jane, much appreciated. And well anticipated! Seems to be largely derived from Willughby/Willoughby, but you never know with these early books, you do find the occasional gem of personal observation!

I have a second edition Bewick, currently off for rebinding, that was stuffed full of hand written personal observations of a Lincolnshire gamekeeper.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back