• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

83x anyone? The new Nikon P900 (2 Viewers)

I have decided that although it's not likely to happen anytime soon, getting a firmware update to enable this camera to get raw functionality would be really helpful. I'd like to think that Nikon, like Canon, monitors the various forums to learn user's likes and dislikes about their cameras. The P900 is a marvelous piece of technology but it could be so much better with some simple updates...

Chris

I agree. Though I don't use RAW, I guess that lots of people would. That would probably be a large firmware update needed.

Easier updates would be:

1: for the camera to stop zooming at the boundary between 2000mm and digital zoom when digital zoom is enabled.
2: When in digital zoom for snap back zoom to snap back the same ratio in digital zoom that it snaps back in optical only. Right now when in digital zoom it snaps back to 2000mm. If you're only using a tiny amount of digital zoom, snap back is useless.
3: Many more functions assignable to the Fn button. Digital zoom on/off, or Focus area spot vs center weight vs matrix toggle.

I will miss the built in teleconverter on the SX50. Mainly it could be used within any optical zoom range and not just at the end of optical zoom. It had the advantage when in low light to click it on and get extra zoom but still letting in sufficient light into the lens.

I know that companies like Canon and Nikon often cross-license patents in order to simply their own lives and to also get access to patents that they don't have. But not all patents get cross licensed. Some of the differences in usability could be the lack of patent access.

I'm really looking forward to being able to experience a non-faulty copy of the P900. Initially Amazon gave me an estimate of June 6th but I hope it's sooner.

I went down to the pond today to experiment with the unit. I am hoping that a bit of digital zoom will be better than the SX50. The SX50 at max using the 2x teleconverter is actually 2439mm which gets me closer than the 2000mm of the P900 at max optical. It wouldn't take a lot of digital zoom to get out to 2439+ if I can do it easily given the lack of a useful "snap back zoom" and no focus rectangle when in digital zoom.

I guess I am wondering if anyone has made extensive use of digital zoom and has tips on how to make it easy to use.

Examples below

1st is the pond which I can look down on. Photo is taken to give an idea how far I can stand from the pond to look down on it.

2nd is a log with two turtles taken with the SX50 with 2x teleconverter effectively 2439mm.

3rd is defective P900 at 2000mm

4th is the defective P900 with a bit of digital zoom but exactly how much I don't know because the P900 doesn't report in Picasa anything greater than 2000mm.

So again I guess I'm asking if anyone has spent a lot of time in digital zoom space with the P900 and has any tips how to operate there more easily. Turtles don't jump from tree branch to tree branch but birds do all the time.

Attachments

• IMG_2960.JPG
    IMG_2960.JPG
    547.2 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_2958.JPG
    IMG_2958.JPG
    453.3 KB · Views: 293
  • DSCN0528.JPG
    DSCN0528.JPG
    398.4 KB · Views: 273
  • DSCN0531.JPG
    DSCN0531.JPG
    332.8 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
The 2000mmm zoom stop would be very easy to implement, after all it already stops between blue and yellow digital zoom

Last edited:
Unfortunately I just tested and the camera wont let you snap a photo when snap back zoom is depressed (Unlike the SX50) With the canon you could snap a photo and then the camera would stay at that zoom.

EDIT: The camera is doing some funky stuff. I tried to see if I could zoom out into digital zoom range and then save to U and have it go there when turned on. I think it did once but then I went to regular 2000mm and turned the thing off and when I turned it on it extended to something like only 1000mm but was in digital zoom mode! I had to extend the zoom and hit snap back for it to come out of digital zoom mode at only 1000mm??? There is some strange programming/feature/bug here.

EDIT: I don't get it. Now whenever I turn the camera on it zooms to like 1000mm in digital zoom mode. When I hit snap back zoom it then fully extends to something close to 3000mm in digital zoom. It will come out of digital zoom mode if I retract the zoom back to 2000mm or lower. But whenever I turn on the camera again it goes to 1000mm-ish in digital zoom mode.

There may be a useful trick here but the logic is confusing me.

Last edited:
It has now quit the behavior above but unless I'm going crazy, I didn't change any of the settings. I just left it off for 30 minutes or more. I did flip it to P to see if it was doing it there and then back to U and it wasn't doing it any more.

Last edited:
Is it possible that the firmware on your P900 is off?
Perhaps a reload of that software might help bring the camera back to normal.

Is it possible that the firmware on your P900 is off?
Perhaps a reload of that software might help bring the camera back to normal.

It was a good idea and worth a check but I don't see anything in the Nikon software that allows me to do checks or updates or reinstalls on the firmware.

I'll likely be packing up the unit to send back this weekend. Getting tired of practicing but getting crappy results.

Soon I'll just be waiting for the replacement to arrive.

Last edited:
It was a good idea and worth a check but I don't see anything in the Nikon software that allows me to do checks or updates or reinstalls on the firmware.

I'll likely be packing up the unit to send back this weekend. Getting tired of practicing but getting crappy results.

Soon I'll just be waiting for the replacement to arrive.

Sadly the Nikon site does say that there is no firmware refresh available for the P900, only the P600. :C

Have rather frustratingly managed to put a small chip and scratch in the front of the lens on mine (and near the centre!). Shows up if I don't zoom out, but as I use the camera at full zoom more or less all the time, it isn't a big deal as such. Been using it for a lot of videos lately and liking the results.

https://www.youtube.com/user/stonefaction/videos

Nice videos. the Snipe is excellent. I was out today in pretty dull conditions and the video footage was the highlight.

The stills from video function is worth trying. That will be a really useful tool for birders. I'm thinking when trying to capture a skulking bird in dull light type of scenarios. One or two frames may clinch it.

Thanks, Peter. The Water Rail video was taken in pretty low light conditions around dusk and came out really well considering the conditions. I have tried the still from video once or twice. The tricky part is catching the exact frame you want. I didn't realise before tonight that you can slow Youtube videos down to half or quarter speed. Much easier to see what is going on with some of the bird videos.

This Camera is Digiscoping Replacement for me

Hi I am very rarely here but this camera has bring me back to birding. My Nikon Scope was stolen last year and i decided to buy a new one , but this time a Swarovski Scope. But before i can buy a new scope, this Camera comes to me.
I spend a lot of time to get Digiscoping Pictures with EDG 85 / FSA-L2 / Nikon D90. In this combination i get one from 100 Pictures as acceptable.
This Camera is a better replacement for Digiscoping Equipment, for me. The AF has trouble in focussing on Auto Mode to find the birds. But when using the "Bird Modus " the Camera is focussing everytime on the middle.
I am happy with this Camera. I Need to use it more often to find out the best set up with it for birding, for the Moment it is the Birding Modus.

Here some examples with Birding Modus with small light in the beginning of the forest. Out of camera no extra Lightroom etc.

Attachments

• DSCN0024.JPG
    DSCN0024.JPG
    185.3 KB · Views: 387
  • DSCN0056.JPG
    DSCN0056.JPG
    168.5 KB · Views: 410
Last edited:
Some from yesterday ...

regards,
Mario

Attachments

• 2015_05_02_P001_1.jpg
    2015_05_02_P001_1.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 278
  • 2015_05_02_P002_1.jpg
    2015_05_02_P002_1.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 249
  • 2015_05_02_P003_1.jpg
    2015_05_02_P003_1.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 331
  • 2015_05_02_P004_1.jpg
    2015_05_02_P004_1.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 245
  • 2015_05_02_P005_1.jpg
    2015_05_02_P005_1.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 271
I went to charity photo event at a local wildlife rehabilitation facility and took the P900. Although I also took my much larger DSLR rig, I also took the P900 and I got some nice images from it. I continue to be pleased with its performance. These were shot Aperture Priority.

Chris

Attachments

• P900_0845_bf.jpg
    P900_0845_bf.jpg
    796.5 KB · Views: 288
  • P900_0864_bf.jpg
    P900_0864_bf.jpg
    726.2 KB · Views: 288
I went to charity photo event at a local wildlife rehabilitation facility and took the P900. Although I also took my much larger DSLR rig, I also took the P900 and I got some nice images from it. I continue to be pleased with its performance. These were shot Aperture Priority.

Chris

Those are great. I hope my replacement does as well.

I never needed to think about Aperture priority and such with the Canon. But I noticed that while I was using the P900 the depth of field was very limited. I don't know if that was connected to the faulty focus or not. I wonder if the P900 can be set to automatically shoot for greater depth of field than P mode provides. Is that what A or S mode would do?

Yes, the "A" mode is aperture priority whereas you set the aperture you want and the camera sets the shutter speed. The "S" mode is shutter priority where you set the shutter speed you want, and the camera will set the aperture...

The base depth-of-field isn't so bad when the lens is not, say from, wide to shallow telephoto but the longer you zoom out, the narrower it gets. Yesterday was a bright sunny day and I could get away with it...

Yes, the "A" mode is aperture priority whereas you set the aperture you want and the camera sets the shutter speed. The "S" mode is shutter priority where you set the shutter speed you want, and the camera will set the aperture...

The base depth-of-field isn't so bad when the lens is not, say from, wide to shallow telephoto but the longer you zoom out, the narrower it gets. Yesterday was a bright sunny day and I could get away with it...

Thanks!

Still no news on when my replacement P900 will arrive. The faulty on is packed up for the next time I drive down to the corner UPS store.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back