• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello, Great Horned Owls brought me here! (1 Viewer)

Calindy

Hi!

I have many birds on my property...but the best of them all are a Great Horned Owl family!! They had 3 Owlets in late Feb. 2006, and I have been watching them grow. This last weekend, the owlets have not only left the nest, but left their tree too! So far they remain on my property.

I have bird feeders, and mostly see California Quail, house finches, scrub jays, and blackbirds using them.

I hope to learn more about birds on this forum!

Thanks,
Calindy

Hi Calindy,a warm welcome to you from the BirdForum Moderators & Administration.Good to have you with us.Looking forward to hearing more about the owls.

Hi, Calindy! Another warm welcome to you from BirdForum -- and from a Santa Monica ex pat. ;)

Aren't owls the best? One of my most vivid memories (because of course the camera was left in the car!) was hiking along the edge of Palos Verdes Peninsula and finding four downy Great-horned chicks tucked in a ledge of one of the ravine walls we'd just crossed. They just sat there, about 30 feet away, bobbing their heads and watching us with those great eyes. We quietly left after a minute or so of ooooing and ahhhhing, but the image will last forever.

Look forward to hearing more about your resident owl family. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back