• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Parliament debates Wild Birds shock (1 Viewer)

God remember mick's perm??? You've got me all nostalgic now Andy, and now I've just started thinkning about why don't you! Not that it's anything to do with birds mind.

I wonder if anyone can think of any TV shows named after birds apart from those two?

Booga

Beverlybaynes said:
This was fascinating reading! Sounds much more intelligent and civilized than what you'd find in the Congressional Record!

A couple of thoughts and questions come to mind:

What is a "Blue Peter"?

This reference is to a childrens television program that has been around since I was a child and that is a good few years ago.

It's also the name of the flag hoisted to the top of the mast when a sailing ship comes into port.

Happy birding..

Re: Spuggies

Denise Stabler said:
It is interesting to hear the various opinions concerning the disappearance of sparrows and starlings. My parents live in a fairly rural area of Hertfordshire in the Chiltern hills and have lost their large house sparrow population completely and rarely see a starling anymore.

I have a house in rural Northumberland that has a large (and getting larger) breeding sparrow colony. They nest and roost in the roof and in the ivy that grows up the cottage. In fact the cottage is really one huge nest box, however the starlings that used to be plentiful are now few and far between. There are a few cats about but sparrowhawks are much more plentiful, and there are lots of broken down farm buildings which are frequented more by Jackdaws than starlings.

Re: Blue Peter

BeverlyBaines

Denise Stabler said:
Oh, I forgot to mention, the Norweigan Blue has beautiful plummage

Did you ever get the really straight info on Blue Peter and Norwegion Blue Parrot?.

The farmers in our area have been leaving fallow areas around the crops,this has resulted in a vibrant sparrow (house tree and dunnock) population, there are hundreds of starlings about, but we are hoping that the lapwing,curlew,woodlarkand nightingale population will increase, all hedgeing around requires permission to be uprooted, thereby giving protection to many small birds,as we already have a strong buzzard, kestrel, sparrowhawk, goshawk,colony, and I have seen hen harrier and peregrine in the vicinity.

Re: Re: Spuggies

Originally posted by Nina P I have a house in rural Northumberland that has a large (and getting larger) breeding sparrow colony. They nest and roost in the roof and in the ivy that grows up the cottage. In fact the cottage is really one huge nest box, however the starlings that used to be plentiful are now few and far between. There are a few cats about but sparrowhawks are much more plentiful, and there are lots of broken down farm buildings which are frequented more by Jackdaws than starlings.

Hi Nina, All new/renovated houses seem to be so "weather" tight now that the old tradional places nesting spaces have now gone. I was in a builders a few days ago where a customer was buying a plastic strip that looked a bit like a large comb designed to exclude birds.

I and a friend are currently running about 150+ nest boxes on a l large site in Yorkshire where we are now up to 25/30 breeding pairs of tree sparrows. We get good numbers of tits but so far no starlings. One of the shop purchased nestbox problems being that tit sized holes also exclude sparrows. The same hole size problem is the same for starlings. In my old house I removed a brick to let starlings get in to breed. (Very noisy compared to sparrows).

You might just want to try a few nest boxes with large holes 50mm would be a good start. I find lots of the smaller birds will not use boxed with large holes.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back