View Single Post
Old Saturday 14th April 2018, 00:41   #26
birdmeister

The SW winds have delivered, and hopefully this story isn't over yet!

I've had a really solid past two days of birding. April 11th was decent, but not the numbers and variety of the next two days.

It started on the morning of the 12th, at the Walt Rd area of Green Lane Reservoir. Highlights/migrants included Gadwall (1), Ring-necked Duck (1), Bufflehead (3), Common Merganser (2), Double-crested Cormorant (61), Great Blue Heron (3), Northern Flicker (9+), Golden-crowned Kinglet (5), Ruby-crowned Kinglet (1), Brown Thrasher (1), Palm Warbler (2), Yellow-rumped Warbler (4), Chipping Sparrow (1), Field Sparrow (4), Fox Sparrow (1), White-throated Sparrow (5), Song Sparrow (5), and Swamp Sparrow (1).

At the Church Rd area of the reservoir I added Wood Duck (1), Blue-winged Teal (3), Northern Pintail (2 lingerers), Green-winged Teal (9), Common Merganser (15+), Common Loon (6 flyovers), loon sp (1), Northern Flicker (1), Eastern Phoebe (1), and Savannah Sparrow (1), with other sparrows possibly being residents.

At the flyfishing area I added two more Blue-winged Teals, Eastern Phoebe (1), Ruby-crowned Kinglet (1), Brown Thrasher (1), Field Sparrow (3), White-throated Sparrow (2), Song Sparrow (5, maybe not all migrants), and Swamp Sparrow (2, 1 maybe resident).

At Trewellyn Park that same afternoon, I added migrant Northern Harrier (1), American Kestrel (1), Eastern Phoebe (1), Palm Warbler (6), Pine Warbler (1), Yellow-rumped Warbler (1), and had excellent looks at a local Pileated Woodpecker.

I saw my first of year Broad-winged Hawk in the afternoon over my house.

This morning, things were still moving at Green Lane. Walt Road had Gadwall (6), Mallard &, at least two non-migrants likely), Ring-necked Duck (7), Ruddy Duck (1), Double-crested Cormorant (2), Broad-winged Hawk (1), Bonaparte's Gull (7), Ring-billed Gull (1), Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (1, FOY), Golden-crowned Kinglet (2), Ruby-crowned Kinglet (2), Field Sparrow (1 migrant), and White-throated Sparrow (6+).

Pottstown Riverfront Park was pretty quiet, with one Broadwing being the highlight.

Green Lane Flyfishing Area brought Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (1), Brown Thrasher (4!), White-throated Sparrow (4), and one each of Palm, Pine, and Yellow-rumped Warblers.

A raptor watch from my house yielded 37 raptors, including 6 Osprey, 1 Red-tailed Hawk, 8 Broad-winged Hawks, 3 Buteo sp, 2 raptor sp, 2 falcon sp, 1 Red-shouldered Hawk, 2 American Kestrels, and 10 Turkey Vultures. Non-raptor migrants included Great Blue Heron (1), gull sp (20), and Barn Swallow (1).

Here's hoping for another FOY or two tomorrow!