• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 8x32mm Premier SE has been discontinued by the manufacturer??? (1 Viewer)

Sour grapes was not my intention nor my position, and caring about value does not equal caring about cost in my book.

To take the on idea of sour grapes from a non Swaro owner, I must say I`v never read a response on here from a Leica or Zeiss owner suggesting that affordability is the reason for putting down their chosen optic, the more time I spend around this forum the more it seems Swaro brings out the superiority complex.

Me ? I just don`t see what all the fuss is about, never been enticed to buy one yet.

torview,

I think it often brings out what might best be called Swaro-tude. To cop a bad attitude (tude, as the kids say) towards Swaro just because it's Swaro. Check out another current thread where SV is called a "gimmick," and the suggestion is made that buyers are just suckers for marketing. Has anybody suggested that HT glass was a "gimmick"? Not that I've seen.

I currently use stuff from seven different optics companies (yes, I've been meaning to sell some) so, as we say in my neck of the woods, "I got no dog in this hunt." ;)

Torview;2941511 Me ? I just don`t see what all the fuss is about said:
I know what you mean Torview: I have never had lust for a Ferrari at all. Love Astons, Maseratis, Jaguars, Porsches (with fully charged batteries) but never swooned over a Ferrari.

But I can see what the fuss is about.

Lee

The cost question is interesting. Some care about it, some don't.

It's a bit like saying, "My Ford Mustang GT is as fast as your Porsche Cayman 0-60 and pulls the same g's on a skidpad so why should I spend the money on a Porsche?!?"

OK, don't. Enjoy your ride. What's to get miffed about?

Well, I think the reason Cycle Guy brought up price was because Dennis acted as if you could simply replace an SE with a SV - something that is not true for most. I do not, of course, know if this was truly CG's intent, but from my understanding I believe it was.

Best,
Justin

Lee, I could be way off the mark here but I have a theory the reason many buyers (not members of this forum) instantly proclaim the SV superior (in the 42mm range) is the fact that they are 8.5x, I find it hard to fathom other manufacturers have`nt noticed this brilliant marketing tactic.

The SEs are definitely discontinued. That is a fact at this point.

Best,
Mike

Mike,

Thanks for confirming that fact. Wish Nikon had announced it on their website rather than having to read the announcement on Optics Planet.

Is the EII also being discontinued or will that still be sold in Japan and Hong Kong?

The EIIs are still listed on the Nikon Sport Optics website, but then again, so are the SEs.

Naure Watching

Also, do you have Makoto Kimura's email address or snail mail address, so I can personally send him a letter of protest and tell him why discontinuing the SE series is a BIG mistake?

Brock

Last edited:
Lee, I could be way off the mark here but I have a theory the reason many buyers (not members of this forum) instantly proclaim the SV superior (in the 42mm range) is the fact that they are 8.5x, I find it hard to fathom other manufacturers have`nt noticed this brilliant marketing tactic.

You're definitely on to something there. It's a just-noticable difference and generally leads to a bit more detail than 8x. But is it a "marketing tactic" or just a different feature? Is 9x a marketing tactic? 10x?

Pretty sure we can all agree this one is pure marketing:

http://www.brilliantstore.com/camping-hiking-needs-os-hl1054.html

There could be something in what you say Torview, but half a point extra magnification wouldn't mean anything unless the optics were not at least fully competitive.

I preferred the view through the SLC 8x myself, although I would need a lot more time with them both to explain just why.

But I don't think there is any denying that Swaros are first class instruments and were the first ones to offer a different appearance and handling experience for years. The original ELs were a breath of fresh air that blew through 'bin-world' like a hurricane and they had the optical chops to go with it. They even seduced me from my Dialyt 10x40 BGAs although a focuser that went grungey sent me scuttling back to FLs.

But the ELs were and remain a design icon thoroughly deserved their success despite focuser issues on some examples, and the Swarovisions have capitalised on this.

However, like success for a football club, popularity comes and goes. Leica and then Swaro have had their time in the sun and now Zeiss is coming.

Lee

Those prices are about the same as they were selling for about 6 or 7 years ago. I remember when the 12x50SE was selling for $999.00 and at times it was listed at $1099.00. The 10x42 SE was selling for $899.00 up to $999.00 at times and the 8x32 was selling for $699.00 which was the highest price I ever saw it offered at. If it is priced higher than that now one could argue that the sellers are profiteering on a scarce commodity.

Factor inflation into the current prices and they are a bargain unless they are a mixture of old stock with older coatings and newer ones with newer coatings. That's a chance you will have to take. In any case, optically they all will be excellent binoculars.

Bob

There are always stores that sell bins at inflated prices or at the MSRP. How they manage to move their merchandize I have no idea. In some parts of the world, prices are always higher, so they ether buy them at a high price or buy on the gray market and perhaps pay an import tax and.or VAT.

However, historically, the SE prices were separated by about $100 each. The 12x50 SE typically sold for $799, the 10x42 SE for $699, and the 8x32 SE for $550-599. This was the trend for at about a decade with NYC camera dealers. Smaller stores priced them closer to the MRSP or higher, the prices you quoted above. There used to be a website that tracked price trends in sports optics. They even had bar graphs that showed the trends visually. Miss that website. I used to follow Nikon Sport Optics prices.

Then the tsunami hit in 2011, and prices on Nikon's Japanese-made optics went up across the board. In the case of the SE, it was a $100 increase. The 8x SE jumped to $679-$699, the 10x42 SE to $799, and the 12x50 SE to $899.

The time between back order arrivals grew longer. SE buyers were paying more and waiting longer to receive their SEs. Demand built, higher demand = higher prices.

I interpreted all this as impacts from the tsunami, which was very disruptive to some business sectors, but also to the fact that with only two out of 50 nuclear reactors running, the price of electricity, and therefore manufacturing, had increased.

So the discontinuation of the SE series comes as kind of shock since other factors could have easily explained the price increases, but also because how many times have we heard that the SEs were being discontinued only to find out that it was a false rumor based on some store that was out of stock and posted on their website that the SEs were "no longer available."

My concern going forward is what this will do to the price of SEs on the second hand market. Only one of my six SEs was bought new, my present 8x32 SE, the five others were bought "like new" second hand, all for under $600 including the two 12x50 SEs, one of which was cosmetically a bit worn (the serial number had been rubbed off) but was still excellent optically.

It's always been my dream to own all three models since each fills a niche, but I could only afford one at a time, although I did own the 8x 550xxx and the 10x 050xxx for about a year or so before I sold the 10x SE to buy a Nikon 8x30 EII BB, which I had to sell after the "Big Crunch" in January. I didn't even get to use it!

Right now, holding on to the 8x32 SE 550xxx is my goal, but others are on my Bucket List:

1. Back up 8x32 SE (551xxx)
2. 10x42 SE (050/051xxx)
3. 12x50 SE (350xxx).

Total cost???

<B>

Last edited:
But isn't "value" the same as caring about cost? And why does that "sour grapes" tone always seem to creep into the discussion?

I parked in front of a guy downtown yesterday, a local developer who drives the latest supercharged Jaguar XJ. Gets a new one every two years or so. For some reason I felt absolutely no desire to point out that my Subaru AWD is just as good in the snow. ;)

Mark

Did he mention over and over and over and over ad infinitum that the only reason you drove a Subaru was because you couldnt afford a Jag? If not, then not a fair comparo to Denco

I can add another. C A and lots of it. Kept mine for 11 1/2 months. good bins,but,better binoculars out there,much better.
suppressor

No wonder your username is SUPPRESSOR! You need a lot of CA suppression if you can see CA in the 8x32 SE, assuming that's the model you're referring to. Even the 10x isn't bad, and I'm sensitive to CA. The 12x50, OTOH, does show noticeable CA while looking at BOP flying overhead and in high contrast situations. But I used the 12x mainly for stargazing where it was a "stellar" performer.

To my eyes, CA in the 8x in the centerfield is not present in most situations, and only noticeable in the 10x against high contrast backgrounds typically found in the winter, but still not bad at all compared to the LX/HGL roofs.

You must have had a hard time with roofs before they started using ED glass. I noticed more CA with non-ED internal focus roofs than porros, which I think is why they added the ED glass to roofs. The internal focuser element is great for sealing out the rain but you pay for it with increased CA. Like so much about roofs, you have to keep making modifications to compensate for their inferiority to porros.

<B>

There are always stores that sell bins at inflated prices or at the MSRP. How they manage to move their merchandize I have no idea. In some parts of the world, prices are always higher, so they ether buy them at a high price or buy on the gray market and perhaps pay an import tax and.or VAT.

However, historically, the SE prices were separated by about $100 each. The 12x50 SE typically sold for $799, the 10x42 SE for $699, and the 8x32 SE for $550-599. This was the trend for at about a decade with NYC camera dealers. Smaller stores priced them closer to the MRSP or higher, the prices you quoted above. There used to be a website that tracked price trends in sports optics. They even had bar graphs that showed the trends visually. Miss that website. I used to follow Nikon Sport Optics prices.

Then the tsunami hit in 2011, and prices on Nikon's Japanese-made optics went up across the board. In the case of the SE, it was a $100 increase. The 8x SE jumped to $679-$699, the 10x42 SE to $799, and the 12x50 SE to $899.

The time between back order arrivals grew longer. SE buyers were paying more and waiting longer to receive their SEs. Demand built, higher demand = higher prices.

I interpreted all this as impacts from the tsunami, which was very disruptive to some business sectors, but also to the fact that with only two out of 50 nuclear reactors running, the price of electricity, and therefore manufacturing, had increased.

So the discontinuation of the SE series comes as kind of shock since other factors could have easily explained the price increases, but also because how many times have we heard that the SEs were being discontinued only to find out that it was a false rumor based on some store that was out of stock and posted on their website that the SEs were "no longer available."

My concern going forward is what this will do to the price of SEs on the second hand market. Only one of my six SEs was bought new, my present 8x32 SE, the five others were bought "like new" second hand, all for under $600 including the two 12x50 SEs, one of which was cosmetically a bit worn (the serial number had been rubbed off) but was still excellent optically.

It's always been my dream to own all three models since each fills a niche, but I could only afford one at a time, although I did own the 8x 550xxx and the 10x 050xxx for about a year or so before I sold the 10x SE to buy a Nikon 8x30 EII BB, which I had to sell after the "Big Crunch" in January. I didn't even get to use it!

Right now, holding on to the 8x32 SE 550xxx is my goal, but others are on my Bucket List:

1. Back up 8x32 SE (551xxx)
2. 10x42 SE (050/051xxx)
3. 12x50 SE (350xxx).

Total cost???

<B>

Brock,

I got those prices from Eagle Optics and Camera Land.

Bob

I think it often brings out what might best be called Swaro-tude. To cop a bad attitude (tude, as the kids say) towards Swaro just because it's Swaro.

Swaro-tude is a definite two way street. Some might see a bad attitude "against" Swaro, some will see an equally obnoxious attitude "for" swaro, just because it's...Swarovski. Anyway, I hope both sides enjoy the view.

Although they have been discontinued, I wonder how many are left sitting in a warehouse in Japan? Got to get rid of that pre-made prism housings inventory that Bob keeps speculating about. :)

Here's what we do know. Nikon made a last batch of 8x32 SEs, serial # 551xxx. I have only heard of one of those so far, so there could be up to 998 others waiting to be bought. If they dump the whole lot, prices would come down since supply would now meet demand. Since the padding is likely at the dealer level, it might not matter to Nikon whether they sell them all or keep releasing them in drips and drabs to select dealers. Dealers, OTOH, want to milk them for all they can, so they might continue to order them in limited quantities to keep supply low until they are all gone.

<B>

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back