• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon EDG and MHG 8x42 comparison. (2 Viewers)

Paultricounty

United States
I had both of these with me today, along with a Nikon 8x32 SE. I figured I’d give a short subjective observation of the differences of the two beautiful roofs.

The EDG is heavier and feels heavier, it is completely encased in this thick heavy rubber. The rubber armor on the EDG has a military feel, extremely solid.The MHG almost feels toy-ish in comparison, but doesn’t feel cheap. I kind of feel the same way when comparing the SF to the NL. The MHG is slimmer in all dimensions and feels slim in the hands. The armor is more like a synthetic leather, and instead of all encased around the binocular, it’s more like an inlay in the magnesium body. The EDG mechanicals all feel more robust and everything is metal and feels like it will last a lifetime , whereas the MHG feels more delicate with plastic focuser and eyecups.

I’m not gonna get into the diopter configurations , they were both set over a year ago and haven’t changed, both work adequately without drift and both are precise.

The focuser in the MHG is very good, smooth in both directions with no slip or rough spots, it is a little light. The EDG focuser is probably the best in the business, and second to none. It is extremely smooth with excellent feed back feel , a true joy to use.

Both exhibit a very sharp and high quality image. The MHG is slightly brighter, has a noticeably larger FOV 435@1000 vs 405@1000. Everything in the EDG appears sharper, it has more color saturation, the colors and the image pops a bit more. But they are closer than they are different , if that makes sense.

CA is barely noticeable in the center in either one. A touch more CA in MHG in the center in very difficult lighting conditions, it creeps into the edges earlier than the EDG as well.

EDG has a flat field and is sharp almost to the very edge, not quite as flat as the Swaro EL. Panning characteristics are better than the EL. Didn’t notice any panning issues in the MHG.

MHG advertises a flat field, but it’s not flat all the way to the edge, not even close. It falls off in the last 20% of the edge. Its a subtle fall off and not objectionable at all, but if your expecting a flat field you will be disappointed. It’s very noticeable when it’s compared side-by-side with the EDG. We could say the EDG has a larger sweet spot when factoring in the MHG fall off, but it still feels larger.

I had compared these two models previously in 10x42 , and there was much more separating the two, in the 8x I feel they are much closer. If someone was trying these out for a few minutes in the parking lot of the vendor, and dismissing the build quality difference , it really would be a hard choice considering the EDG is twice the price, a little less today if bought from Japan. It does take some time with both to really appreciate the difference, I’ve had both for quite some time, so I do notice the difference , and if I had to choose just one, I’d go with the EDG.
Paul

Attachments

• 93682C16-303E-49C9-B6A6-01E4CCA50126.jpeg
    93682C16-303E-49C9-B6A6-01E4CCA50126.jpeg
    7.1 MB · Views: 67
  • 35786BC2-0134-44A8-AA25-3707F1D49D32.jpeg
    35786BC2-0134-44A8-AA25-3707F1D49D32.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 65
  • 25398DE2-F140-46DB-9D08-F2BE906B8D5E.jpeg
    25398DE2-F140-46DB-9D08-F2BE906B8D5E.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 60
  • 8E705303-F7CB-40F5-A852-430CFFCC79DB.jpeg
    8E705303-F7CB-40F5-A852-430CFFCC79DB.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 61
  • 012D613E-653F-404D-902A-306CE553A5C7.jpeg
    012D613E-653F-404D-902A-306CE553A5C7.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 67
How did the little SE stack up?
The SE holds up well against the other two, all three are very similar in image color tone. The SE has that three dimensional effect of a porro and has a field flattener more similar (and effective) to the EDG. The build , shape and material armor make for a binocular that feels like it melts into your hands.

Paul

Last edited:
Hi Paul,

nice Nikon collection - thanks for sharing your review.

Joachim, who still fights the EDG itch...

Hi Paul,

nice Nikon collection - thanks for sharing your review.

Joachim, who still fights the EDG itch...
Thank you. Both are very nice glass. There really is a kind of mystique with the EDG’s. I had tried and bought quite a few other binoculars over time, but the EDG was always in the back of my mind. I was always thinking there were better choices available than the EDG , and there were and are, but very few do everything well like the EDG’s. It’s hard to find even small flaws, or better said, weak points.

Paul

The 42mm MHG's seem really nice to me. Excellent value. At the same time, it's only another $500 or so to upgrade to the EDG, that is also an excellent value. Exceptionally good deal among the top binoculars.

The AFOV on the MHG is 8.3 degrees vs. 7.7 in the EDG, so if you like a wider field or lighter weight, those are the areas where the MHG specs are actually better than EDG.

I had both of these with me today, along with a Nikon 8x32 SE. I figured I’d give a short subjective observation of the differences of the two beautiful roofs.

The EDG is heavier and feels heavier, it is completely encased in this thick heavy rubber. The rubber armor on the EDG has a military feel, extremely solid.The MHG almost feels toy-ish in comparison, but doesn’t feel cheap. I kind of feel the same way when comparing the SF to the NL. The MHG is slimmer in all dimensions and feels slim in the hands. The armor is more like a synthetic leather, and instead of all encased around the binocular, it’s more like an inlay in the magnesium body. The EDG mechanicals all feel more robust and everything is metal and feels like it will last a lifetime , whereas the MHG feels more delicate with plastic focuser and eyecups.

I’m not gonna get into the diopter configurations , they were both set over a year ago and haven’t changed, both work adequately without drift and both are precise.

The focuser in the MHG is very good, smooth in both directions with no slip or rough spots, it is a little light. The EDG focuser is probably the best in the business, and second to none. It is extremely smooth with excellent feed back feel , a true joy to use.

Both exhibit a very sharp and high quality image. The MHG is slightly brighter, has a noticeably larger FOV 435@1000 vs 405@1000. Everything in the EDG appears sharper, it has more color saturation, the colors and the image pops a bit more. But they are closer than they are different , if that makes sense.

CA is barely noticeable in the center in either one. A touch more CA in MHG in the center in very difficult lighting conditions, it creeps into the edges earlier than the EDG as well.

EDG has a flat field and is sharp almost to the very edge, not quite as flat as the Swaro EL. Panning characteristics are better than the EL. Didn’t notice any panning issues in the MHG.

MHG advertises a flat field, but it’s not flat all the way to the edge, not even close. It falls off in the last 20% of the edge. Its a subtle fall off and not objectionable at all, but if your expecting a flat field you will be disappointed. It’s very noticeable when it’s compared side-by-side with the EDG. We could say the EDG has a larger sweet spot when factoring in the MHG fall off, but it still feels larger.

I had compared these two models previously in 10x42 , and there was much more separating the two, in the 8x I feel they are much closer. If someone was trying these out for a few minutes in the parking lot of the vendor, and dismissing the build quality difference , it really would be a hard choice considering the EDG is twice the price, a little less today if bought from Japan. It does take some time with both to really appreciate the difference, I’ve had both for quite some time, so I do notice the difference , and if I had to choose just one, I’d go with the EDG.
Paul
Excellent write up Paul, I've often wondered about the EDG and that focuser, would love to try one. I've been impressed with both the M7 and MHG, Nikon glass is very enjoyable.

Excellent write up Paul, I've often wondered about the EDG and that focuser, would love to try one. I've been impressed with both the M7 and MHG, Nikon glass is very enjoyable.
Thank you . Nikon definitely makes nice glass. If you like Nikon and your looking for another bino , you owe it to yourself to try the EDG. The focuser alone can say somebody.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back