• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black and White warbler? (1 Viewer)

BlairC

A friend sent me this photo of a bird they found dead in their pool in Ottawa, Ontario this week (mid-October)
I thought it might be a black and white warbler, but the solid black back doesn't match. Any suggerstions?
Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-11 at 10.11.41 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-10-11 at 10.11.41 AM.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Screen Shot 2017-10-11 at 10.11.54 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-10-11 at 10.11.54 AM.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 49
Hi Blair C.,

And welcome to birdforum! Not nearly enough members from over here in "the colonies" ;-)

Agree with Andy, this is definitely a Dark-eyed ("Slate-coloured") Junco. Key features are the short, sparrow-like, pink bill, the all-slate head and back, and the white outer tail feathers. The confusing aspect, I think, is the apparent dark streaking on the breast and belly; this is just a result of the dark under-plumage showing through because he feathers have been matted (I suspect the poor thing got damp) and would not show in life.

PeterC.

Thanks all. There seems to be a consensus for the junco -- which jibes with what a local expert suggested as well.
Cheers
Blair

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back