• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Niltava banyumas mardii (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Maybe a start. The OD of Niltava banyumas mardii we find in...

Hoogerwerf A. (1962) Some ornithological notes on the smaller Islands around Java (with the description of seven new subspecies). ARDEA 50 (3-4): 180 - 206.

This what's written there:

The subspecific name is dedicated to one of the senior taxidermists of the Bogor Museum who accompanied us to Prinsen Island.

Maybe someone have more information on the taxidermist?

Current Key entries:
madzoedi
Madzoed or Madzud (fl. 1929) Javanese preparator at Zoologisch Mus. Buitenzorg, collector in the East Indies (cf. “Named for a Sudanese [sic] collector” (Richmond Card Index)) (syn. Terpsiphone paradisi affinis) (see mardii).
mardii
Madi (fl. 1951) senior taxidermist at Bogor Mus., Java (Jan van der Brugge in litt.) (syn. Cyornis banyumas) (see madzoedi).

Hoogerwerf also says: "All types mentioned in this paper are in the Zoölogical Museum at Bogor (Indonesia); paratypes are in the Rijksmuseum van Natuurlijke Historie at Leiden (Netherlands)" ... the latter being today's Naturalis (Biodiversity Center), which make me think that Justin might know who is hiding, lurking behind the mardii name.

The Paper itself; Hoogerwerf, A. (1962) Some ornithological notes on the smaller Islands around Java (with the description of seven new subspecies). Ardea 50 (3-4) : 180–206, can be seen, in full, here (free access for anyone, if only having registered an e-mail-address, but no problem ...)

The same paper also incl. for example: "Dicrurus hottentottus faberi", "Turnix suscitator baweanus", "Psittacula alexandri kangeanensis" ... and so on.

Also note that those collections were made "Between 1950 and 1957 ...", thereby I suppose you (or anyone else, of course) ought to look for a Mr. Mard (or Mardi?) working for the Bogor Museum in that certain period.

Good luck finding him!

/B
--

Last edited:
Sigh! Earlier dealt with, back in 2016 (here).

I had forgotten about that one all together. Sorry for stirring this unwarranted pot/puzzle.

mardii [and the 'mantri', Mr. Madi] ... over and out! (at least on my part) ;)

/B
--

Last edited:
Did not get why Madzoed or Madzud must be equal to Madi (Mardi). Even from the old thread. For me remain pure speculation.
I definitely didn't say "must be equal", but "Could ... maybe, possibly be short (or a "nick-name") for ...".

How can this be interpreted as "must be"?

I thought I was pretty clear, it was simply a speculation (that maybe, possibly could have taken us forward) ... but apparently not.

If anyone have done such a claim, it sure wasn't me.

/B
--

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back