• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandwell Valley (3 Viewers)

Managed an hour or so down the Valley today (Forge Mill) - LRP (1) still, & 7 Goosanders remain. Of note, to me, a "flock" of 9 House Sparrows in hedge next the Public Car Park to the RSPB.(Note NOT Tree Sparrows8-P)

Also seen from the Hide this Wagtail, is it a female or juv. Pied or an Alba(or a `White Not counted`!)?

Year list increased to 58, latest - House Sparrow

Richard

Attachments

• New_1_DSCF8326.JPG nr2.JPG
    New_1_DSCF8326.JPG nr2.JPG
    181.8 KB · Views: 25
March
The month gave us 95 species 14 being new for the year Curlew over Swan Pool, Sand Martin x8, Ringed Plover over Swan Pool and a second bird over Forge Mill Farm, Woodcock overs Salters Lane and second bird at the end of the month over Hill Top, Rock Pipit on Swan Pool, Greylag x3 over Forge Mill and 2 on swan pool, Little Gull a cracking 1st winter bird spent 3 days in Dartmouth park, Little Ringed Plover back at Forge Mill one day earlier than last year with 2 birds present at the end of the month, the first Wheatears of the year in the Paddocks and Salters Lane on the 23rd with upto 7 birds present during the month, two Ospreys over on the same day, Blackcap and Willow Warbler both back on the 26th, a Golden Plover over Hill Top on the 27th and Swallow x2 over Forge Mill on the 30th, We also had our first White Wagtail .The Shelduck finally departed after 49 days, the Pintail pair where still about early in the month, we had a couple of Brambling under the feeders, a pair of Stonechat at Salters Lane, a couple of Tawny Owl where heard, Chiffchaff where starting to appear everywhere with 16+ birds on the 25th and the Caspian Gull was present on the 17th after an absence of 16 days then showed up at Belvide on the 19th and stayed to roost and was back in the valley on 20th and then moved to Upper Bittel on the 21st, an Immature Great Black Back on the last day of the month was only the 3rd this yesr. Some of the best counts being Black Headed Gull x240, Linnets 80+, Chaffinch 60+, Pochard x43, Wigeon x22, Meadow Pipit x18, Buzzard c16, Pied Wagtail x15, Skylarks x10, Nuthatch x8,Goldeneye x6, Oystercatcher x6, Sparrowhawk x4 and Little Egret x4

Good Birding YAMYAM

Managed an hour or so down the Valley today (Forge Mill) - LRP (1) still, & 7 Goosanders remain. Of note, to me, a "flock" of 9 House Sparrows in hedge next the Public Car Park to the RSPB.(Note NOT Tree Sparrows8-P)

Also seen from the Hide this Wagtail, is it a female or juv. Pied or an Alba(or a `White Not counted`!)?

Year list increased to 58, latest - House Sparrow

Richard

I would have gone for female Pied :t:
Dave

Valley year list on:- 109
Latest:- House Martin

White Wagtail not counted

Matt Hadlington -102 Willow Warbler
Dave Saunders- 100 Blackcap
Mike Ixer -93 Willow Warbler
John Clarke -89 Wheatear
Richard Baker -87 House Martin
Hughie King -86 Blackcap
Wali Taylor -85 Willow Warbler
Steve Lilly -83 House Martin
Tim Hextell - 81 Sand Martin
Dave Waite -77 Blackcap
Carl Seabode -75 Blackcap
Terry Parker -65 House Martin
Adrian Kirton- 58 Willow Tit
Richard Eyers -58 House Sparrow
Paul Aggett - 49 Water Rail
Rob Preston - 38 Little Egret
Good Birding YAMYAM

Treecreeper

I saw a pair of Treecreepers today 7th April at the back of the ice pool. I took my camera today and managed to get a photo of one of them. Linked to the photo in the gallery.

https://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/621857

I saw a treecreeper there the day before and that time I also saw a pair of nuthatches fighting each other, they dashed straight down out of a tree and onto the ground one pinning the other down to the ground pinching onto it with it's beak before eventually letting go. I see a lot of them around there but it was nice to see some of their behaviour, vicious as it can be sometimes.

Matt Fletcher

I saw a pair of Treecreepers today 7th April at the back of the ice pool. I took my camera today and managed to get a photo of one of them. Linked to the photo in the gallery.

https://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/621857

I saw a treecreeper there the day before and that time I also saw a pair of nuthatches fighting each other, they dashed straight down out of a tree and onto the ground one pinning the other down to the ground pinching onto it with it's beak before eventually letting go. I see a lot of them around there but it was nice to see some of their behaviour, vicious as it can be sometimes.

Matt Fletcher

Nice one Matt:t:

A couple of hours in mixed lighting conditions yesterday and fairly quiet it was to. Haven’t been for a while but popped over on spec with my brother and a mate.

3 Species of warbler and a couple of Swallows in with the mixed Martins with all 3 species flying and feeding above 500’. At least 5 Oystercatchwrs present on Forge Mill and a solitary LRP and a sub-adult Yellow-legged Gull.

I pointed out a rather smart White Wagtail from the hide to be told by a volunteer with an irritating walkie-talkie that it was a Pied - well fook me i have been looking at the wrong species for decades;) The bird in question had only a Black Crown (terminating sharply and distinctly at the nape) contrasting with Grey upperparts which in better light would have been as Silvery like a Herring Gull - they don’t get any better than that. I lookd at my brother and he shrugged his shoulders - time to move on.....

I did however definately spot Dave Waite c/w bride and King Charles Spaniel:t:

Good Birding -

Laurie:t:

League Table 8/04/19
Richard Baker adds Raven his Valley list

01. Pete Hackett 213 Caspian Gull
02. Dave Saunders 211 Caspian Gull
03. Tim Hextell 204 Caspian Gull
04. Matt Hadlington 196 Caspian Gull
05. Mel Jones 188 Caspian Gull
06. Pete Forbes 185 Yellow Legged Gull
07. Hughie King 180 Little Gull