• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

local big day and big year records (2 Viewers)

Does anyone know where I could find out more information on birding records for local areas in the United States, such as what a big day record in my county or state would be or what the big year record in my local counties and states would be? I know I could use ebird to look at the top 100 for each year however not all birders use ebird and ebird doesn’t have a way to see big day records as far as I know. On top of the states and counties does anyone know what the big year record for New England might be?

As a non user, I wouldn't think of consulting e-bird.
I'm not sure how I would approach this problem here in the U.K. but I think, in your position, I would start by writing to the local branch of the Audubon society

Does anyone know where I could find out more information on birding records for local areas in the United States, such as what a big day record in my county or state would be or what the big year record in my local counties and states would be? I know I could use ebird to look at the top 100 for each year however not all birders use ebird and ebird doesn’t have a way to see big day records as far as I know. On top of the states and counties does anyone know what the big year record for New England might be?
There is no uniform system for keeping such local records in the United States. To the extent records are kept, they would probably be kept by your state, or possibly local, ornithological association/bird club. I would contact them. Also, if your state has a birding listserv, or something similar on Facebook, you could ask on it. (In Maryland, for example, a group of birders self-publishes an annual list report and any birders who want to contribute their records can do so.)

As for New England, I expect very few have attempted a big year for the New England states as a whole. Birders typically do big years for individual states, counties, or much larger areas such as the 48 states or the world. The highest individual total for a New England state is likely going to be from Massachusetts.

Last edited:
By the way, the ABA has a portal where you can search for and presumably enter big day/big year records for a range of geographical areas, but not everyone submits records there either:

You might also do an Internet search for "big day" or "big year" in the specific geographic regions you are interested in – that may well turn up relevant information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back