• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

House Sparrow colony (1 Viewer)

We have a lovely little House Sparrow colony at the end of our road and enjoy passing it daily en-route to school. I'm trying to teach my young daughters about birds and they seem to enjoy spotting the sparrows hopping about in the hedges.

One thing I don't know (and wonder if anyone out there does know) is, is there a special name for a sparrow colony? Like Rooks with their 'Rookery'!

Just another one of those pointless trivia questions! I'm a mind full of useless facts! :brains:

House Sparrows are fascinating birds. Something you might not know that your daughters should find interesting is that House Sparrows, like many of the 'passer' species will nest in other large species nests such as White Storks.

We've had a good number of them in a huge privet across the road now for a few years. It seems one of the males is branching out into a large, dense shrub out in our back garden and gathering a fair number of females. They're great birds and one of the first birds I really became aware of as a small child, myself, along with Starlings. They were a regular feature in our school playground snapping up crumbs and seemed to have no fear of screaming kids. It's nice to hear that your kids are now doing the same.

House and Tree Sparrows breed in leylandii and privet hedges here (Hunts fens). They both prefer these dense bush/tree natural sites to the many farm buildings and the 20+ nest boxes I erected specifically for the Treeps! You think House Sparrow builds a big sprawling mass until you see what a Tree Sparrow can do!

Sparrows are basically weavers and before we came along and cocked up their natural world, they will have nested in tree cavities and dense bushes/trees building large, sprawling nests (which they still do of course!). Nesting in stork's nest must be just a next step, saves them building the main structure and they just have do a bit of interior decorating and bingo!

House and Tree Sparrows breed in leylandii and privet hedges here (Hunts fens). They both prefer these dense bush/tree natural sites to the many farm buildings and the 20+ nest boxes I erected specifically for the Treeps! You think House Sparrow builds a big sprawling mass until you see what a Tree Sparrow can do!

Sparrows are basically weavers and before we came along and cocked up their natural world, they will have nested in tree cavities and dense bushes/trees building large, sprawling nests (which they still do of course!). Nesting in stork's nest must be just a next step, saves them building the main structure and they just have do a bit of interior decorating and bingo!
With the added bonus of having a ruddy great bouncer on top of you to fend off Magpies and so on.

Thanks for the info about nests! The hedge goes quite a way up and we get a good view looking up, seeing the nests silhouetted.
The birds seems to feel quite safe tucked in there too as we pass close by. There's another smaller colony in a hedge on the other side of the road and we enjoy spotting the birds flitting from one side to the other.
Yes, sparrows were one of the first birds that interested me too, back at my parents home in SE London, when food was put out for them, there'd be dozens of sparrows and starlings on the lawn. Nowadays you're lucky if you see a house sparrow in their garden.

The collective noun for a group of sparrows can be either A quarrel of sparrows or A ubiquity of sparrows there are others also like crew of sparrows and A flutter of sparrows hope that helps to answer your question.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back