• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Naturalists fear overuse of Bird Call Apps (1 Viewer)

This was a bit of a problem at a local reserve I visit; with a number of photographers using digital calls of certain water birds to draw them in closer. A reminder as to the possible stress this can cause the birds was posted within the various hides.

I too worry about such 'short-cuts' used in order to get wildlife to come closer either for a photograph or closer viewing.

It would seem some are more concerned with the 'instant gratification' of getting a shot using such techniques, rather than drawing upon more considerate and developed fieldcraft techniques.

Pot noodle, anyone? ;)

You couldn't find a better example of how this 'technique' (I hate to even call it that) is being misused and abused than if you read through the 'Great Snipe at Cley' thread in the Rare Birds Forum.

I would think the ipod is much more responsible for an increased use of playback (and increases in the number of birders) than bird apps

I was once on a volunteer work outing where some novice whipped out a weird home-made squeaky-toy device and proceeded to abuse everyone's ears with 15 minutes of squeaky toy and kissy noises during which we were unable to listen to the actual birds and crickets. Some people have no class or consideration.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back