• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 8x32mm Premier SE has been discontinued by the manufacturer??? (1 Viewer)

Bob,

After you were born, they broke the mold. ;)

I was mainly referring to you not being bothered by the CA in the 10x32 HGL. If you can tolerate that much CA, you have a high tolerance for it.

<B>

Brock,

I meant to answer this earlier but as you know CA is not that important to me and I forgot to respond.

I was watching a Turkey Vulture soaring over the ridge line of the mountain to my east today when I remembered this discussion. A beautiful bright sunny day too!

I have to hold the binocular off axis to see this CA along a mountain ridge line and I didn't make that clear before. If I keep my binocular on axis I do not see it on these mountain ridge lines and trees along the top are sharply in focus.

Now my question is; do you see CA when you keep the binocular on axis and centered on the object you are viewing like a mountain ridge?

Bob

PS: I find it easy to fiddle, up and down, on and off axis using the MOLCET technique in holding my binoculars up to my eyes. The top edge of the eye cup is anchored slightly under my eye brows on my brow ridge for steadiness and it is easy to move it up and down and still keep it braced solidly.

Last edited:
You can criticize the Nikon 8x32 SE all you want. But I think everybody would agree for $500.00 they are the best optics you can buy. As Brock put's it. They are the best "Bang for the Buck" you can get. They are the "Poor Man's Swarovision". That is why they are so talked about.

Last edited:
You can criticize the Nikon 8x32 SE all you want. But I think everybody would agree for $500.00 they are the best optics you can buy. As Brock put's it. They are the best "Bang for the Buck" you can get. They are the "Poor Man's Swarovision".

There are still some of us that think they are better than Swarovision and shouldn't be compared to it at all.

CG

Last edited:
Well, then they have not been selling like 'hotcakes'. I bought my SE's in January of 2013 ($679 from B&H) and they are serial number 550949.

That said (and I am a large Swaro fan) I can sit for hours comparing them to my 10x32 Swarovisions, and some days I like the Nikons better, more days I like the Swaros better. To my eyes they are both superb in slightly different ways.

John F

Yes. The Swarovski's are better in ways and the SE's are better in ways. Really the SE's are hard to beat for the money. That is the bottom line. I bought another pair of SE's because they are being discontinued. They will soon be hard to find. $450 shipped at Amart. Good pricing for a soon to be classic. I really think after having ALOT of binoculars that the Swarovisions are the best roof and the Nikon SE series are the best porro's in the world. The thing is the Swarovision's are 4X the cost of the cost of the SE. It costs as least $2K to beat the SE. Even the Zeiss Conquest HD isn't as good as the SE IMO.

Last edited:
Yes. The Swarovski's are better in ways and the SE's are better in ways. Really the SE's are hard to beat for the money. That is the bottom line. I bought another pair of SE's because they are being discontinued. They will soon be hard to find. $450 shipped at Amart. Good pricing for a soon to be classic. I really think after having ALOT of binoculars that the Swarovisions are the best roof and the Nikon SE series are the best porro's in the world. The thing is the Swarovision's are 4X the cost of the cost of the SE. It costs as least $2K to beat the SE. Even the Zeiss Conquest HD isn't as good as the SE IMO.

Amart? Not finding any Nikons on any *amart* site. ??

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back