• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Argentina - Northern Patagonia IDs 4 and 5 (1 Viewer)

lockbreeze926

Scotland
As per previous thread, two more obscure efforts.

The bird in Photos 1 and 2 was scrabbling on its own around the only piece of vegetation on an otherwise bare rocky mountain slope at around 3000 feet altitude. It looks like a sparrow of some sort, but matches nothing I can see in my field guide - my guess is that it might be an immature Rufous-Collared Sparrow,with the facial pattern just starting to appear (better discernible in the otherwise more-obscured photo). I think the red bill tends to support this, as well as general plumage and the abundance everywhere of the RCS - BUT the facial pattern, although vaguely outlined, seems slightly out of alignment and would a juvenile be this active this early in the Austral summer?

Photos 3 is a mystery. The bird flew into shot as I was looking at something else, hence it's way out of focus, and it flew very quickly. From my naked-eye observation, what the picture shows is correct - a finch-sized, stubby-billed bird, largely red-orange on the breast and crown with black and white longitudinal throat patches, darker (brown? grey?) on the nape and mantle. Habitat was urban-edge scrubland. The nearest ID stab I can make is a Rufous-Tailed Plantcutter, but that isn't very convincing.

John

Attachments

• Sparrow Sp 1.jpg
    Sparrow Sp 1.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 152
  • Sparrow Sp 2.jpg
    Sparrow Sp 2.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 156
  • Mystery 1.jpg
    Mystery 1.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 152
No idea for the first bird but i don't see why you're not convinced by the identification of the rufous-tailed plantcutter in the third pic.

Thanks to all contributors.

I agree the Mourning Sierra-Finch looks good - the suggested photo shows the red bill, whereas my field-guide shows a yellow one (described as "orange"......ah well).

Thanks again.

lockbreeze926 said:
I agree the Mourning Sierra-Finch looks good - the suggested photo shows the red bill, whereas my field-guide shows a yellow one (described as "orange"......ah well).

The bill-colours is variable. Breeding males have bright yellow bills, but non-br. males (as well juv. males) have brownish bills - often with a dull orange tinge.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back